SIR - I am sure I m not alone in getting increasingly worried about the speed at which people drive along some of our local roads. It has got so bad that I don t always feel safe when I m in a car – let alone as a pedestrian – particularly on our rural ro
SIR - I am sure I'm not alone in getting increasingly worried about the speed at which people drive along some of our local roads. It has got so bad that I don't always feel safe when I'm in a car - let alone as a pedestrian - particularly on our rural roads.
In fact, figures show that almost two-thirds of deaths are now on these rural roads, while cycling on them is three times more dangerous than in urban areas. Out of 24 OECD countries, we have slipped to fifth on road deaths overall and shockingly are 17th in terms of child pedestrian deaths.
Recently, I noticed the Government is asking for people's opinions on how it can make our roads the safest in the world. I think this must include making people feel safe using our roads without having to be protected by a metal chassis, so I decided to send in a letter. And I'd like to urge all your readers to do the same. The Campaign to Protect Rural England has a draft letter on its website that you can use: www.cpre.org.uk.
Please write - we all need to do our bit to put a stop to these harrowing statistics and encourage the Government to take positive action.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire