SIR - I am sure I m not alone in getting increasingly worried about the speed at which people drive along some of our local roads. It has got so bad that I don t always feel safe when I m in a car – let alone as a pedestrian – particularly on our rural ro
SIR - I am sure I'm not alone in getting increasingly worried about the speed at which people drive along some of our local roads. It has got so bad that I don't always feel safe when I'm in a car - let alone as a pedestrian - particularly on our rural roads.
In fact, figures show that almost two-thirds of deaths are now on these rural roads, while cycling on them is three times more dangerous than in urban areas. Out of 24 OECD countries, we have slipped to fifth on road deaths overall and shockingly are 17th in terms of child pedestrian deaths.
Recently, I noticed the Government is asking for people's opinions on how it can make our roads the safest in the world. I think this must include making people feel safe using our roads without having to be protected by a metal chassis, so I decided to send in a letter. And I'd like to urge all your readers to do the same. The Campaign to Protect Rural England has a draft letter on its website that you can use: www.cpre.org.uk.
Please write - we all need to do our bit to put a stop to these harrowing statistics and encourage the Government to take positive action.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 2 Dirty Dancing and The Greatest Showman among St Albans open-air cinema screenings
- 3 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Author explores city's hidden history
- 6 Mental Health Awareness Week: Easing children’s worries and fears after lockdown
- 7 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 8 Whipsnade Zoo to celebrate 90th birthday with fun family activities
- 9 Olympic hopeful Raissa Vickery benefits from 948 Sports Foundation help
- 10 Council elections: who are St Albans Liberal Democrat candidates?