SIR, — We were interested to read that campaigners are forcing a speed limit to be introduced on the A5183 between Batchwood and Hogg End Lane. What we are concerned about though is that these self-appointed campaigners seem desperate to introduce limi
SIR, - We were interested to read that campaigners are forcing a speed limit to be introduced on the A5183 between Batchwood and Hogg End Lane.
What we are concerned about though is that these self-appointed "campaigners" seem desperate to introduce limits in the name of safety which our elected representatives can't seem to agree on. What is really worrying is that once again our money is being spent on such schemes in our name yet road users, business and road-freight organisations are once again just not properly consulted.
This road is at a standstill most mornings and is also used regularly by airport coaches, Eastern European HGVs, cycle clubs and bus operators - were they consulted about this change which affects them? For local bus operators this can be literally make or break.
Perhaps our elected representatives should pay a visit to the excellent, flexible, variable 20/30mph speed limit scheme at Ordnance Road Primary School at Enfield Lock to see how it should be done - unlike crude and clumsy limits, often enforced by unconstitutional camera partnerships or as we call them, private members' clubs for Government organisations.
You may also want to watch:
I drive for a living and am getting really sick and tired of driving at a snail's pace with in-your-face cameras every 500 yards, due to years of bad transport planning in this country. If we keep on cutting limits ad-hoc, then end-to-end journey times become unviable and business will go abroad.
We fully support Boris Johnson's common-sense approach to transport planning in allowing motorbikes to use bus lanes, rephasing lights and building major projects which are properly funded, sustainable and accountable, because the alternative is rising carbon emissions and a rise in asthma cases in Batchwood Ward. The county elections are next spring incidentally and we need change.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
Mayne Avenue, St Albans.