SIR, — We were interested to read that campaigners are forcing a speed limit to be introduced on the A5183 between Batchwood and Hogg End Lane. What we are concerned about though is that these self-appointed campaigners seem desperate to introduce limi
SIR, - We were interested to read that campaigners are forcing a speed limit to be introduced on the A5183 between Batchwood and Hogg End Lane.
What we are concerned about though is that these self-appointed "campaigners" seem desperate to introduce limits in the name of safety which our elected representatives can't seem to agree on. What is really worrying is that once again our money is being spent on such schemes in our name yet road users, business and road-freight organisations are once again just not properly consulted.
This road is at a standstill most mornings and is also used regularly by airport coaches, Eastern European HGVs, cycle clubs and bus operators - were they consulted about this change which affects them? For local bus operators this can be literally make or break.
Perhaps our elected representatives should pay a visit to the excellent, flexible, variable 20/30mph speed limit scheme at Ordnance Road Primary School at Enfield Lock to see how it should be done - unlike crude and clumsy limits, often enforced by unconstitutional camera partnerships or as we call them, private members' clubs for Government organisations.
You may also want to watch:
I drive for a living and am getting really sick and tired of driving at a snail's pace with in-your-face cameras every 500 yards, due to years of bad transport planning in this country. If we keep on cutting limits ad-hoc, then end-to-end journey times become unviable and business will go abroad.
We fully support Boris Johnson's common-sense approach to transport planning in allowing motorbikes to use bus lanes, rephasing lights and building major projects which are properly funded, sustainable and accountable, because the alternative is rising carbon emissions and a rise in asthma cases in Batchwood Ward. The county elections are next spring incidentally and we need change.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 9 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 10 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
Mayne Avenue, St Albans.