SIR, – I am writing regarding the vacant Vauxhall Garage building and site at the bottom of Towsend Lane, Luton Road, Harpenden. Wouldn t it be great if a local business consortium teamed up with a couple of local celebs, along with the council etc, to c
SIR, - I am writing regarding the vacant Vauxhall Garage building and site at the bottom of Towsend Lane, Luton Road, Harpenden.
Wouldn't it be great if a local business consortium teamed up with a couple of local celebs, along with the council etc, to create a Community Centre which maybe could include a small cinema/theatre, internet or themed cafe, indoor ice rink and other leisure facilities, particularly aimed at the 'young' people of Harpenden - and to include people with disabilities - making a safe and sociable venue as an alternative to the local pubs.
The site is ideally situated so close to the town centre and only metres away from the original Harpenden Embassy Cinema site (where I spent a lot of my youth attending). Wouldn't it be good to have a similar type of venue to the Embassy, which would benefit the whole of our community? It would certainly create some employment for the town as well.
This is the sort of local project I would support. How about you?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 4 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 5 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 6 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly
- 7 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 8 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 9 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
- 10 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier