SIR, – I am writing regarding the vacant Vauxhall Garage building and site at the bottom of Towsend Lane, Luton Road, Harpenden. Wouldn t it be great if a local business consortium teamed up with a couple of local celebs, along with the council etc, to c
SIR, - I am writing regarding the vacant Vauxhall Garage building and site at the bottom of Towsend Lane, Luton Road, Harpenden.
Wouldn't it be great if a local business consortium teamed up with a couple of local celebs, along with the council etc, to create a Community Centre which maybe could include a small cinema/theatre, internet or themed cafe, indoor ice rink and other leisure facilities, particularly aimed at the 'young' people of Harpenden - and to include people with disabilities - making a safe and sociable venue as an alternative to the local pubs.
The site is ideally situated so close to the town centre and only metres away from the original Harpenden Embassy Cinema site (where I spent a lot of my youth attending). Wouldn't it be good to have a similar type of venue to the Embassy, which would benefit the whole of our community? It would certainly create some employment for the town as well.
This is the sort of local project I would support. How about you?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 7 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 8 A New York state of mind
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery