SIR, – I am writing regarding the vacant Vauxhall Garage building and site at the bottom of Towsend Lane, Luton Road, Harpenden. Wouldn t it be great if a local business consortium teamed up with a couple of local celebs, along with the council etc, to c
SIR, - I am writing regarding the vacant Vauxhall Garage building and site at the bottom of Towsend Lane, Luton Road, Harpenden.
Wouldn't it be great if a local business consortium teamed up with a couple of local celebs, along with the council etc, to create a Community Centre which maybe could include a small cinema/theatre, internet or themed cafe, indoor ice rink and other leisure facilities, particularly aimed at the 'young' people of Harpenden - and to include people with disabilities - making a safe and sociable venue as an alternative to the local pubs.
The site is ideally situated so close to the town centre and only metres away from the original Harpenden Embassy Cinema site (where I spent a lot of my youth attending). Wouldn't it be good to have a similar type of venue to the Embassy, which would benefit the whole of our community? It would certainly create some employment for the town as well.
This is the sort of local project I would support. How about you?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 Property Spotlight: A barn conversion in an idyllic rural setting
- 3 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 4 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 7 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans