SIR, — Perhaps the credit crunch will have a silver lining. It was very gratifying to read your lead story (Herts Advertiser, December 18) offering news of the renewed possibility that the sorely-missed Odeon cinema in London Road, St Albans, could be sav
SIR, - Perhaps the credit crunch will have a silver lining. It was very gratifying to read your lead story (Herts Advertiser, December 18) offering news of the renewed possibility that the sorely-missed Odeon cinema in London Road, St Albans, could be saved for its original purpose.
However, the best news is that the potential saviour is James Hannaway who has proved just what can be done with an art-deco cinema building, The Rex in Berkhamsted.
For the last year or two we have spent many hours travelling back and forth to enjoy the wide variety of films shown by The Rex, often introducing friends to the memorable experience of such an exotic and wonderfully-restored environment - described by the BBC as "possibly the most beautiful cinema in Britain".
The cleverly-selected showings are very often sold out - booking ahead for which requires great dedication - and there is quite a following of St Albans' residents prepared to make the trip. So just imagine how popular a local version would be.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hannaway deserves all the support that we can muster for the expansion of his enterprise and that includes St Albans District Council, which has singularly failed to provide any alternative cinema - a facility that a town of this size most definitely deserves.
In the present economic environment, I would speculate that there will be no further progress on the city-centre redevelopment site in the foreseeable future.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 5 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 6 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 9 April 12: St Albans shops re-open
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
So please spread the word and encourage those who can make this happen to throw their weight behind the project. Perhaps you could publish some pictures of The Rex for all to admire?
JOHN and ROSALIND EDWARDS,
Marshal's Drive, St Albans.