SIR, — Perhaps the credit crunch will have a silver lining. It was very gratifying to read your lead story (Herts Advertiser, December 18) offering news of the renewed possibility that the sorely-missed Odeon cinema in London Road, St Albans, could be sav
SIR, - Perhaps the credit crunch will have a silver lining. It was very gratifying to read your lead story (Herts Advertiser, December 18) offering news of the renewed possibility that the sorely-missed Odeon cinema in London Road, St Albans, could be saved for its original purpose.
However, the best news is that the potential saviour is James Hannaway who has proved just what can be done with an art-deco cinema building, The Rex in Berkhamsted.
For the last year or two we have spent many hours travelling back and forth to enjoy the wide variety of films shown by The Rex, often introducing friends to the memorable experience of such an exotic and wonderfully-restored environment - described by the BBC as "possibly the most beautiful cinema in Britain".
The cleverly-selected showings are very often sold out - booking ahead for which requires great dedication - and there is quite a following of St Albans' residents prepared to make the trip. So just imagine how popular a local version would be.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hannaway deserves all the support that we can muster for the expansion of his enterprise and that includes St Albans District Council, which has singularly failed to provide any alternative cinema - a facility that a town of this size most definitely deserves.
In the present economic environment, I would speculate that there will be no further progress on the city-centre redevelopment site in the foreseeable future.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
So please spread the word and encourage those who can make this happen to throw their weight behind the project. Perhaps you could publish some pictures of The Rex for all to admire?
JOHN and ROSALIND EDWARDS,
Marshal's Drive, St Albans.