Sign of the times
SIR, — For as long as I can remember, my family have enjoyed using the free shuttle bus from Luton Parkway to Luton Airport. The set-up allowed us to avoid the extortionate airport car park charges and a more peaceful set-down/pick-up before and after a j
SIR, - For as long as I can remember, my family have enjoyed using the free shuttle bus from Luton Parkway to Luton Airport. The set-up allowed us to avoid the extortionate airport car park charges and a more peaceful set-down/pick-up before and after a journey.
What a disappointment my mother and I had last week when I took her to Parkway before a brief trip to Spain. The driver informed us that the charge is now £1.50 - for a five-minute journey. £1.50! This is a classic example of pure greed. I was not surprised to discover that the shuttle is operated by none other than First Capital Connect (FCC). Does this company think that we are completely stupid? We know how long the journey takes and under no circumstances is it worth £1.50 per person.
Apparently people who arrive at Parkway by train are only charged £1. Big deal. They have no other way of reaching the airport as it is too far to walk.
For so many years the shuttle has been a free service. Why does FCC now feel they have the right to rip us all off? Would they prefer us to clog up the roads and airport with our cars to avoid paying these pathetic charges? What are they intending to do with this extra revenue? Oh, perhaps it is to pay the extra staff they now have to employ to take people's money. Does this make sense to anyone other than FCC? Even the drivers are openly disappointed. They must be tired of the abuse from outraged passengers.
You may also want to watch:
My family will no longer be using the shuttle service on principle. I hope we are not the only ones to boycott FCC and their once-free ride. Will their greed never end?
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
Pickford Hill, Harpenden.