Sharing the road
SIR, — I hope that Tom Fisher s comments in his letter (Herts Advertiser, May 22) regarding cycling on pavements was not meant as a criticism. As a recent convert to cycling, the reason most of us use footpaths is twofold. Firstly the potholes in St Alban
SIR, - I hope that Tom Fisher's comments in his letter (Herts Advertiser, May 22) regarding cycling on pavements was not meant as a criticism. As a recent convert to cycling, the reason most of us use footpaths is twofold. Firstly the potholes in St Albans' roads makes cycling extremely hazardous - not only do you contend with cars zipping past but being thrown around by the dire road surfaces. Indeed, some potholes are so bad that if you went over them you would come off your bike so you have to cycle away from the road edge to avoid the worst of them.
Which brings me to my second point - drivers with scant regard for cyclists. I myself was threatened by a driver of a Porshe Cayenne who, as I tried to avoid a crater in the road, drove aggressively and used his horn to force me over into a series of severe potholes. I would now use a pavement wherever possible to prevent being in that situation again.
We are all aware that many more of us should not use cars for our short journeys, but to help encourage others to get on their bikes and feel secure on the roads - and not illegally on pavements - drivers should be more aware of the cyclists around. In particular they should leave enough room on the side of the road for us when they are in traffic queues, generally be considerate when out and about - we are slower than them - and unlike my 4x4 driving friend, stop and be thankful that some of us are changing our habits and easing congestion around the city and not be abusive to us for daring to share the roads.
You may also want to watch:
Marshals Drive, St. Albans.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area