School places row
SIR - Cllr Judy Shardlow is right to be suspicious about the county council s determination to ship Wheathampstead children out of their local community and into Francis Bacon school. How else can you explain a pattern of school appeal results in which AL
SIR - Cllr Judy Shardlow is right to be suspicious about the county council's determination to ship Wheathampstead children out of their local community and into Francis Bacon school.
How else can you explain a pattern of school appeal results in which ALL appellants from Kimpton, Whitwell and Breachwood Green to Harpenden schools are successful, and ALL appellants from Wheathampstead are unsuccesful?
Whilst Cllr Shardlow is to be commended for her actions on behalf of Wheathampstead parents, she is wrong in her belief that: "...all nine children in Kimpton... won their appeals for the two Harpenden schools because of the distance they would have to travel to Francis Bacon". No child in Kimpton was, in fact, allocated Francis Bacon. We were given Sir Frederic Osborn [in Welwyn Garden City], an allocation equally as preposterous as that faced by Wheathampstead parents.
Like these parents, we presented an appeal which was a detailed, thorough argument about why our child needed to attend a school in his priority area and why these schools would not be prejudiced by his attendance there. Unlike Wheathampstead parents, however, our appeal was upheld, as were all the others from Kimpton.
You may also want to watch:
There is no doubt in my mind that the current system is far from transparent. Hidden agendas which affect the outcome of so-called "independent" appeals are an affront to our democratic system.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 6 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe