School places row
SIR - Cllr Judy Shardlow is right to be suspicious about the county council s determination to ship Wheathampstead children out of their local community and into Francis Bacon school. How else can you explain a pattern of school appeal results in which AL
SIR - Cllr Judy Shardlow is right to be suspicious about the county council's determination to ship Wheathampstead children out of their local community and into Francis Bacon school.
How else can you explain a pattern of school appeal results in which ALL appellants from Kimpton, Whitwell and Breachwood Green to Harpenden schools are successful, and ALL appellants from Wheathampstead are unsuccesful?
Whilst Cllr Shardlow is to be commended for her actions on behalf of Wheathampstead parents, she is wrong in her belief that: "...all nine children in Kimpton... won their appeals for the two Harpenden schools because of the distance they would have to travel to Francis Bacon". No child in Kimpton was, in fact, allocated Francis Bacon. We were given Sir Frederic Osborn [in Welwyn Garden City], an allocation equally as preposterous as that faced by Wheathampstead parents.
Like these parents, we presented an appeal which was a detailed, thorough argument about why our child needed to attend a school in his priority area and why these schools would not be prejudiced by his attendance there. Unlike Wheathampstead parents, however, our appeal was upheld, as were all the others from Kimpton.
There is no doubt in my mind that the current system is far from transparent. Hidden agendas which affect the outcome of so-called "independent" appeals are an affront to our democratic system.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 10 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns