SIR, — I was astonished to discover that councils are abiding by a European Community directive which means shopkeepers, other owners of commercial properties and church authorities are advised not to shovel or sweep away the snow and put down grit or sal
SIR, - I was astonished to discover that councils are abiding by a European Community directive which means shopkeepers, other owners of commercial properties and church authorities are advised not to shovel or sweep away the snow and put down grit or salt on the pavements outside their premises. This is on the grounds that having "interfered" with the snow, the sweeper then becomes liable to be sued should someone have the misfortune to slip on that particular patch.
This directive from the European Community deals a death-blow to local community spirit and the inbuilt ethos of helping one's neighbour. The pavements, with their untreated icy slush, were extremely treacherous and even more dangerous than if they had been gritted. One was often forced to walk on the main road, ice-free as a result of gritting, and was then in danger of being hit by a vehicle. I understand that on the Continent it is the practice to sweep away ice and snow from outside one's premises.
Yet again common sense has been abandoned under the controlling force of bureaucrats far away. Most responsible people would welcome the helpful efforts of shopkeeers etc. to make the pavements a safer place in these snowy times.
You may also want to watch:
Clarence Road, Harpenden,
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 7 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently