SIR, — I would live to follow up a letter headlined Road work (Herts Advertiser, June 26) concerning Batchwood Drive, St Albans. Am I glad the work will be continuing? Well I live in Batchwood Drive and have had no notification so far that works will co
SIR, - I would live to follow up a letter headlined "Road work" (Herts Advertiser, June 26) concerning Batchwood Drive, St Albans.
Am I glad the work will be continuing? Well I live in Batchwood Drive and have had no notification so far that works will commence again next week! I am also wondering if Herts Highways or in fact the county council will actually stump up some money and perhaps put at least two car-washing tokens through the doors of all of us that have been refused a driveway and have to park in the layby! The dust caused by continuing traffic during the weeks following their work was unbelievable, notwithstanding the chips I now have on my paintwork of my car. Again at another expense to me.
I would also like to highlight the danger of the signs placed "to stop people driving over 10 mph" which most people have disregarded, hence again the dust and scratches on my car.
It is virtually impossible to wait for a nice person to let you out of the the layby by signaling alone, so I take my life in my hands every morning to pull out from the layby, but am finding this mission near impossible due to being even more visually impaired by the roadsigns.
You may also want to watch:
And as for the age old argument surrounding Batchwood Drive and parking and laybys and people using grass verges, why oh why won't Herts Highways and the county council put some of the £2 million they got towards extra projects like putting a road-long, lay-by opposite the original ones and hence then everyone can park?
When they put the laybys in (I'm presuming when the houses were built but could be wrong) around 1950, not everyone had or needed a car. Now most families are two and three-car families. Did I miss something or were our properties not advertised as "family homes"?
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
Batchwood Drive, St Albans