SIR, – I am writing with reference to your front-page article about Francis Bacon School and I would like to put across my viewpoint as a new parent for September 2008 intake. I am very proud to say I am sending my son to this school after very careful co
SIR, - I am writing with reference to your front-page article about Francis Bacon School and I would like to put across my viewpoint as a new parent for September 2008 intake.
I am very proud to say I am sending my son to this school after very careful consideration. Although my heart sank when I saw the front page, I remain absolutely adamant that I have selected the best school for my son.
I visited the school on three separate occasions during the selection process and the outstanding, positive attitude of all the staff and pupils shone through.
The facilities for our young people are amazing, including a superb new hospitality suite in which pupils will experience state-of-the-art facilities for food preparation and cooking.
The old cliché "Never judge a book by its cover" really applies to this school as although it may look a little tired on the outside, the inside is light, airy and welcoming for its pupils.
My son is so excited about joining Francis Bacon and while "special measures" might be a slight set-back, the school should be proud of what they do have to offer. They are one of the few schools in St Albans that caters for a very wide range of nationalities and welcome cultural diversity.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
As parents we must remember that responsibility lies with us to enhance our children's learning and support the teachers' efforts on a daily basis.
I totally agree with the editor's comments and am sure Francis Bacon will rise above their current difficulties and steadily climb the achievement ladder. I remain convinced this is the right choice for my son and wish all at Francis Bacon good luck.
RUTH PALMER COOPER,
Moor Mill Lane, St Albans.