Review: Westminster Lodge Verulamium Spa: St Albans hidden retreat
- Credit: Archant
The summer months bring sunshine, suntans- and an abundance of holiday snaps clogging up your Facebook feed.
But those who were stuck in a stuffy office and not on a beach sunning it in Barbados should fear not; a mid week haven awaits you, nestled in its own picturesque part of the city.
Verulamium Spa, in Westminster Lodge, offers a corner of calm for those longing for a break away- without air miles, price tag, or time out from work.
Three of us at the Herts Ad were lucky enough to sample the Twilight package, which included a body and head massage, full use of the spa and a dinner on the terrace.
The crisp sunny evening proved the perfect setting for our evening retreat, and dinner was enjoyed outside on the terrace with perfect views of the Cathedral.
You may also want to watch:
Our Thursday evening treat began with the massage, which transported us to our own cocoon of calm.
The 45 minutes of bliss was just long enough to come away feeling tranquil and contented, ready for the next part of our evening.
- 1 Battle of St Albans appears on new Wars of the Roses stamp
- 2 University student digs World War One trench in St Albans garden for film project close to his heart
- 3 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 6 Confetti cannons released at primary school 50th birthday
- 7 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 8 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 9 Budding Beaumont School playwright Oliver wins scriptwriting competition
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Rickmansworth
The massage concentrated on the head, back and neck, which was perfect for relieving the built up tension from weekdays spent at a desk.
We then enjoyed the delights of the spa, which boasts five variations of a sauna and steam room.
Those who find them too intense can unwind in the Tepidarium, the Lanconium, or the Calidarium, which offer a cooler experience.
We sampled each one, easing ourselves up to the sauna, which left us feeling detoxed and relaxed.
We basked in the ‘Hydrospapool’ and got out only to sink into our fluffy white robes on the heated loungers, which gave us the chance to fully unwind before making our way to dinner.
The bistro menu comprises a combination of culinary delights to suit both the health conscious and those looking to indulge.
I enjoyed a veggie burger with a G&T, while my colleagues enjoyed the salmon and chicken with some white wine.
The sunset was the perfect end to the evening and the three of us walked into the office the next day feeling fresh and replenished after a deep night’s sleep.