SIR – I would like to applaud St Albans District Council for the care and compassion they have shown to our animal brethren during the recent snow-filled weeks. Their decision to leave hundreds of black sacks filled with rotting food out on every street c
SIR - I would like to applaud St Albans District Council for the care and compassion they have shown to our animal brethren during the recent snow-filled weeks. Their decision to leave hundreds of black sacks filled with rotting food out on every street corner has ensured that the rat and fox population are not just surviving but positively thriving.
The RSPCA would be proud.
Marshals Drive, St Albans
SIR - What a disgrace - the service provided or not so in our case regarding the binmen. What's their excuse for no show?
My partner is a dustman working in London seven days a week. He has to commute to and from St Albans, starting at 2am and working 12-14 hour shifts just to keep a roof over our heads and pay our ridiculously high council tax bill which, in my opinion, should be scrapped - and not replaced with any other bill.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 4 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 5 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 6 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 7 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 8 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 9 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 10 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
When the binmen do eventually turn up they do not put the bins back where they should go, they leave rubbish on the ground and have a general "I don't care" type of attitude. If they can't do their job properly, there are millions of people on the dole who would welcome the chance.
Thank you to Stuart Jacobs (Herts Advertiser letters, January 21). I totally agree with all his comments.
SIR - I am writing a few lines to praise the refuse collectors.
They come out in all weathers. They are polite and helpful. They do not get enough praise. I know it's their job and they get paid for it but they earn their money.
MRS P PETTS
Cotswold Close, Marshalswick