Redbourn at 900
SIR – I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year s events. However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening para
SIR - I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year's events.
However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening paragraph seems to convey. You suggest that our celebrations will, "mark its (Redbourn's) 900th anniversary". This suggests that we are celebrating the 900th anniversary of the Village of Redbourn.
However, the actual village of Redbourn dates back a very long time before this; its earliest recorded mention was in the time of King Edward the Confessor but it must have existed as a community or Manor for many (unknown) decades before this.
In fact it is the founding of the Norman church of St Mary in c1110 which is the real thing that has sparked off our celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
As St Mary's is our village, or parish church, it is very appropriate that the whole village should be involved.
It is therefore a delight that all our many and varied village organisations will be involved in the many activities that are planned but the real cause for the celebrations will not be overlooked and I am very pleased and look forward to the coverage which the Herts Advertiser will be providing.
- 1 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 2 GP to retire after 52 years in the NHS
- 3 St Albans named among best UK places to raise a baby
- 4 Property Spotlight: A huge family home on a sought-after St Albans street
- 5 St Albans MP describes fire safety row as ‘national scandal of epic proportions’
- 6 Why have police failed to prosecute over destruction of Smallford Pits wildlife site?
- 7 Housing boom sees St Albans homes earning more than their owners
- 8 Hertfordshire estate agency chain acquires local rival
- 9 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 10 Youth engagement event marks Stephen Lawrence Day in St Albans
Crouch Hall Gardens, Redbourn