Redbourn at 900
SIR – I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year s events. However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening para
SIR - I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year's events.
However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening paragraph seems to convey. You suggest that our celebrations will, "mark its (Redbourn's) 900th anniversary". This suggests that we are celebrating the 900th anniversary of the Village of Redbourn.
However, the actual village of Redbourn dates back a very long time before this; its earliest recorded mention was in the time of King Edward the Confessor but it must have existed as a community or Manor for many (unknown) decades before this.
In fact it is the founding of the Norman church of St Mary in c1110 which is the real thing that has sparked off our celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
As St Mary's is our village, or parish church, it is very appropriate that the whole village should be involved.
It is therefore a delight that all our many and varied village organisations will be involved in the many activities that are planned but the real cause for the celebrations will not be overlooked and I am very pleased and look forward to the coverage which the Herts Advertiser will be providing.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 8 Green light given to new hospital project
- 9 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 10 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
Crouch Hall Gardens, Redbourn