Redbourn at 900
SIR – I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year s events. However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening para
SIR - I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year's events.
However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening paragraph seems to convey. You suggest that our celebrations will, "mark its (Redbourn's) 900th anniversary". This suggests that we are celebrating the 900th anniversary of the Village of Redbourn.
However, the actual village of Redbourn dates back a very long time before this; its earliest recorded mention was in the time of King Edward the Confessor but it must have existed as a community or Manor for many (unknown) decades before this.
In fact it is the founding of the Norman church of St Mary in c1110 which is the real thing that has sparked off our celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
As St Mary's is our village, or parish church, it is very appropriate that the whole village should be involved.
It is therefore a delight that all our many and varied village organisations will be involved in the many activities that are planned but the real cause for the celebrations will not be overlooked and I am very pleased and look forward to the coverage which the Herts Advertiser will be providing.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 St Albans MP vows to fight developer 'free for all' to protect Herts Green Belt
- 8 Pupils' brighter walk to school thanks to developer
- 9 Look! See inside spectacular new lights display at St Albans Cathedral
- 10 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
Crouch Hall Gardens, Redbourn