Redbourn at 900
SIR – I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year s events. However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening para
SIR - I read with interest and appreciation your article (Herts Advertiser, January 28) about our forthcoming 900-year celebrations and look forward to your coverage of our year's events.
However, may I point out a wrong impression which your opening paragraph seems to convey. You suggest that our celebrations will, "mark its (Redbourn's) 900th anniversary". This suggests that we are celebrating the 900th anniversary of the Village of Redbourn.
However, the actual village of Redbourn dates back a very long time before this; its earliest recorded mention was in the time of King Edward the Confessor but it must have existed as a community or Manor for many (unknown) decades before this.
In fact it is the founding of the Norman church of St Mary in c1110 which is the real thing that has sparked off our celebrations.
As St Mary's is our village, or parish church, it is very appropriate that the whole village should be involved.
It is therefore a delight that all our many and varied village organisations will be involved in the many activities that are planned but the real cause for the celebrations will not be overlooked and I am very pleased and look forward to the coverage which the Herts Advertiser will be providing.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 6 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 7 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 8 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 9 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 10 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
Crouch Hall Gardens, Redbourn