SIR, — I agree with Alan Bunting s letter (Herts Advertiser, June 5) about the recycling process — i.e. I too presumed it was to enable recycling of ever more scarce natural resources and to reduce CO2 emissions etc etc. However in our area, perfectly-ser
SIR, - I agree with Alan Bunting's letter (Herts Advertiser, June 5) about the recycling process - i.e. I too presumed it was to enable recycling of ever more scarce natural resources and to reduce CO2 emissions etc etc.
However in our area, perfectly-serviceable 1960s and 70s properties are being demolished for redevelopment. In a recent redevelopment very near me, a large and recently extended mid-70s' detached bungalow has been demolished and two detached houses crammed in - and for what its worth, with no garages and inadequate provision for off-street parking.
We watched as the developers of this site or their sub-contractors removed each roof tile and smashed them by lobbing them into a skip. Equally I have also seen whole central heating boilers and radiators in other skips in the area, and plastic guttering - so unless someone at the receiving end of this waste is in recycle mode, do these items also wind up in landfill? One central heating boiler equals an awful lot of cans.
Answers on a postcard to the Joined-Up-Thinking Department', St Albans District Council? Or are they just yet again following Central Government guidelines?
You may also want to watch:
COLIN M. WEAVER,
Tuffnells Way, Harpenden.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
- 9 St Albans man's charity walk in memory of dad who died following heart attack
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to