SIR, — I agree with Alan Bunting s letter (Herts Advertiser, June 5) about the recycling process — i.e. I too presumed it was to enable recycling of ever more scarce natural resources and to reduce CO2 emissions etc etc. However in our area, perfectly-ser
SIR, - I agree with Alan Bunting's letter (Herts Advertiser, June 5) about the recycling process - i.e. I too presumed it was to enable recycling of ever more scarce natural resources and to reduce CO2 emissions etc etc.
However in our area, perfectly-serviceable 1960s and 70s properties are being demolished for redevelopment. In a recent redevelopment very near me, a large and recently extended mid-70s' detached bungalow has been demolished and two detached houses crammed in - and for what its worth, with no garages and inadequate provision for off-street parking.
We watched as the developers of this site or their sub-contractors removed each roof tile and smashed them by lobbing them into a skip. Equally I have also seen whole central heating boilers and radiators in other skips in the area, and plastic guttering - so unless someone at the receiving end of this waste is in recycle mode, do these items also wind up in landfill? One central heating boiler equals an awful lot of cans.
Answers on a postcard to the Joined-Up-Thinking Department', St Albans District Council? Or are they just yet again following Central Government guidelines?
You may also want to watch:
COLIN M. WEAVER,
Tuffnells Way, Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions