Recipe: Pan fried mackerel with smoky broad bean and samphire salad and oyster mayonnaise
- Credit: Archant
MACKEREL is really an all year fish, but especially good with a ‘summery’ salad. It’s a firm fish, rich in Omega 3 oil and really versatile whether your baking, barbequing or frying.
I fell in love with it when I was young, probably from all those long summer hours trailing lines with silver foil on hooks to catch them.
Then Gran would show us how to cook them… I loved her soused mackerel as it was full of flavour either hot or cold. There’s even a town in South Devon that locals nicknamed ‘Smackel’ after the smoked mackerel they produce.
For my recipe I’ve blended a few seaside and summer flavours that result in a really healthy combination that looks good and tastes even better.
Don’t get stuck if you can’t find any of my ingredients, just substitute something similar or to your taste and let me know how it goes.
You may also want to watch:
Once you’ve got your ingredients together the dish take you about 30 mins to prepare and cook. To start with get yourself four 150g mackerel fillets, scaled with fins and bones removed, and some good old sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, then roll your sleeves up and off you go…
Want to try out Perry’s recipe? Click here for the full ingredients list and method >
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 5 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 6 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 7 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 8 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 9 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 10 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone