Recipe: Pan fried mackerel with smoky broad bean and samphire salad and oyster mayonnaise
- Credit: Archant
MACKEREL is really an all year fish, but especially good with a ‘summery’ salad. It’s a firm fish, rich in Omega 3 oil and really versatile whether your baking, barbequing or frying.
I fell in love with it when I was young, probably from all those long summer hours trailing lines with silver foil on hooks to catch them.
Then Gran would show us how to cook them… I loved her soused mackerel as it was full of flavour either hot or cold. There’s even a town in South Devon that locals nicknamed ‘Smackel’ after the smoked mackerel they produce.
For my recipe I’ve blended a few seaside and summer flavours that result in a really healthy combination that looks good and tastes even better.
Don’t get stuck if you can’t find any of my ingredients, just substitute something similar or to your taste and let me know how it goes.
You may also want to watch:
Once you’ve got your ingredients together the dish take you about 30 mins to prepare and cook. To start with get yourself four 150g mackerel fillets, scaled with fins and bones removed, and some good old sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, then roll your sleeves up and off you go…
Want to try out Perry’s recipe? Click here for the full ingredients list and method >
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 6 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe