Raw deal for OAPs
SIR – Having read that the state pension is to rise by only 34p per week from next April, I feel we (yes, I am one) OAPs are getting a very raw deal. What can 34p buy these days? A loaf of bread is well over �1, and 34p is many slices short of what is par
SIR - Having read that the state pension is to rise by only 34p per week from next April, I feel we (yes, I am one) OAPs are getting a very raw deal. What can 34p buy these days? A loaf of bread is well over �1, and 34p is many slices short of what is part of the staple diet for OAPs.
Petrol prices keep on rising, therefore because everything comes by road, all purchases go up week by week and if you own a car, what with the price of the MOT, tax and insurance, it makes it almost impossible to take it out more than once per week.
Post offices have closed left, right and centre and now there is a postal strike. This is outrageous and thoughtless as many of us rely on receiving cards and letters from our loved ones; not too many of us are able to use a computer. What are we going to do if we cannot receive cards at Christmas?
I can see a winter of discontent looming and it's about time we went on strike. Many of us help our local MPs into their jobs with leafleting, stuffing envelopes, canvassing, etc. Without us they would be in a mess. They are living on a good salary and many (even our very own Hitchin and Harpenden MP) have had their snouts in the trough - apart fromgardening and moats, why should we on the lower level have to buy them food from our taxes? This means we are being taxed twice for our food. Well if Mr Lilley would like my 34p extra per week he is welcome to it, perhaps another slice of bread towards his sarnie, and I will go without, which seems to be the aim of the exercise.
You may also want to watch:
I know we receive a winter bonus for our heating, but how long is that going to last with the enormous rises from the gas and electricity providers? We are receiving a very raw deal indeed and the time has come to have our say. Write to your MP and Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg - let them know how you feel. It's up to us. Don't forget the generous pensions they have voted in for themselves.
DISGUSTED OF HARPENDEN
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
Name and address supplied