Rail freight fight
SIR - I am writing to support the campaign by many local residents and associations against the proposed rail freight depot on the former Radlett aerodrome sight. The following are our reasons for opposing the application: 1. Loss of Green Belt. We believ
SIR - I am writing to support the campaign by many local residents and associations against the proposed rail freight depot on the former Radlett aerodrome sight.
The following are our reasons for opposing the application:
1. Loss of Green Belt. We believe that this is totally inappropriate use of a Green Belt site, in an area of the country that is short of green space, and where there is a danger of coalescence between communities.
2. The local transport infrastructure, both road and rail, is already overloaded. The roads would become even more congested, and the rail company is already having difficulty putting on more passenger trains to ease congestion for local commuters.
You may also want to watch:
3. There would be increased noise, air and light pollution, and general congestion.
We believe that alternative sites, away from this congested part of the country, should be considered.
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 4 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 5 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 6 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 7 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 8 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 9 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 10 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
Chairman, The Harpenden Society
SIR - I object most strongly to the proposed development of the airfield at Radlett.
I am a resident of Chiswell Green where we are regularly affected by traffic blockages due to diversions following crashes on the surrounding motorways.
We are then totally imprisoned in Chiswell Green as traffic builds up on all our roads. The additional traffic from the freight terminal will impact on what is already a problem with St Albans and Park Street and their narrow streets. Any resulting traffic congestion could mean a 10 minute journey taking up to an hour and a half from Chiswell Green to St Albans.
I go into St Albans most days as I am active in voluntary work for the elderly and obviously this would impact on the time I can offer to do voluntary work.
What right has a large company to ride rough shod over the the wishes of the local community who will be the first to suffer delays on the railways, lack of amenities, congestion, etc? The needs of the local community have been ignored for the commercial benefits of the company.
SIR - Having time on my hands I was looking at your site and noticed the amount of concern about the rail depot at Park Street. This is just across the orbital road from my Cottonmill home.
Taking a closer look at the application I wonder what the fuss is all about. I could never understand how 10,000ft of concrete could be classed as Green Belt. The proposals seem to solve a lot of problems, i.e. a bypass for Park Street, a use for the land - remember a third is already an industrial site.
At the moment unemployment is rising so any new development has got to be a plus.
As we live in a fast just-in-time world, having a depot to move goods quickly and efficiently seems to be a good thing. I know initially the building of it will be bad but the end result will be less intrusive.
Remember whenever a new development is planned be it depot, housing estate, airport the NIMBY attitude always rears its head. We live in an increasingly more expensive world yet we demand cheap goods and services. This comes at a price. You cannot build things like this in the middle of nowhere - it would defeat the point of it.
The only concern I had was the roundabout at Park Street could possibly need remodeling with a tunnel or bridge to connect the orbital to the old M10.