SIR, — We write to clarify the facts about The Abbey Primary School s admission policy. Your article (Herts Advertiser, March 12) might otherwise be misleading for parents considering an application to the school. Our admission policy has six categories u
SIR, - We write to clarify the facts about The Abbey Primary School's admission policy. Your article (Herts Advertiser, March 12) might otherwise be misleading for parents considering an application to the school.
Our admission policy has six categories under which children may be admitted. Only two of them specifically require regular attendance at St Alban's Abbey. It is the definition of the term 'regular' which is at issue. The Government's Code of Practice for School Admission demands that admissions policies are transparent and that criteria are fully measurable. In common with other church schools, we have now defined 'regular attendance' at any place of worship in quantifiable terms so that in those categories where regular attendance at Abbey services is required it is clear what that entails.
Nothing else has changed. We still give priority to 'looked after children' and siblings. As happens now, children who live in the geographical parish of the Abbey but who do not attend the Abbey may still be admitted. Indeed, as at many church schools, such children often form a significant percentage of our intake and we welcome and cherish the diversity that this brings to the school community.
The full admission policy is available on request and prospective parents are welcome to attend one of the regular tours of the school. Full details are available from the headteacher.
You may also want to watch:
Chair of Governors, The Abbey School.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Green light given to new hospital project
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans