SIR, – St Albans Town Hall doors were thrown open on the last weekend in January in order that residents could get to see the Town Hall s little-known gems during Residents First Weekend. These gems included the Courtroom, dating back to 1831 and the newl
SIR, - St Albans Town Hall doors were thrown open on the last weekend in January in order that residents could get to see the Town Hall's little-known gems during Residents First Weekend.
These gems included the Courtroom, dating back to 1831 and the newly-opened Local History Library run by the Arch&Arch.
However, the doors to the newly-refurbished public toilets remained firmly closed, causing much embarrassment and inconvenience to those taking part in the event. One of the most frequent questions asked at the information point in the Town Hall was: "Where are the nearest public toilets."
Having written numerous letters to the council, including to Cllr Teare and Charles Baker the tourism manager, asking them to put up a notice informing visitors of the whereabouts of public toilets within the city centre, I am deeply disappointed that the council have neglected the simplest of requests to one of the basic needs of those visiting St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
Charles Baker informed me on Saturday afternoon that the opening of the Town Hall toilets and signing to disabled facilities should, hopefully, be in place during the coming week.
They need to also put right the sign to Verulamium outside the Town Hall which at present points in the opposite direction, down Victoria Street, is also hoped to be addressed in the coming days. This fault was reported last September, during the Heritage Weekend.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 8 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
Ramsbury Road, St Albans.