SIR, – St Albans Town Hall doors were thrown open on the last weekend in January in order that residents could get to see the Town Hall s little-known gems during Residents First Weekend. These gems included the Courtroom, dating back to 1831 and the newl
SIR, - St Albans Town Hall doors were thrown open on the last weekend in January in order that residents could get to see the Town Hall's little-known gems during Residents First Weekend.
These gems included the Courtroom, dating back to 1831 and the newly-opened Local History Library run by the Arch&Arch.
However, the doors to the newly-refurbished public toilets remained firmly closed, causing much embarrassment and inconvenience to those taking part in the event. One of the most frequent questions asked at the information point in the Town Hall was: "Where are the nearest public toilets."
Having written numerous letters to the council, including to Cllr Teare and Charles Baker the tourism manager, asking them to put up a notice informing visitors of the whereabouts of public toilets within the city centre, I am deeply disappointed that the council have neglected the simplest of requests to one of the basic needs of those visiting St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
Charles Baker informed me on Saturday afternoon that the opening of the Town Hall toilets and signing to disabled facilities should, hopefully, be in place during the coming week.
They need to also put right the sign to Verulamium outside the Town Hall which at present points in the opposite direction, down Victoria Street, is also hoped to be addressed in the coming days. This fault was reported last September, during the Heritage Weekend.
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 9 baby and toddler groups for St Albans and Harpenden
- 4 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 7 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 10 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
Ramsbury Road, St Albans.