SIR, – St Albans Town Hall doors were thrown open on the last weekend in January in order that residents could get to see the Town Hall s little-known gems during Residents First Weekend. These gems included the Courtroom, dating back to 1831 and the newl
SIR, - St Albans Town Hall doors were thrown open on the last weekend in January in order that residents could get to see the Town Hall's little-known gems during Residents First Weekend.
These gems included the Courtroom, dating back to 1831 and the newly-opened Local History Library run by the Arch&Arch.
However, the doors to the newly-refurbished public toilets remained firmly closed, causing much embarrassment and inconvenience to those taking part in the event. One of the most frequent questions asked at the information point in the Town Hall was: "Where are the nearest public toilets."
Having written numerous letters to the council, including to Cllr Teare and Charles Baker the tourism manager, asking them to put up a notice informing visitors of the whereabouts of public toilets within the city centre, I am deeply disappointed that the council have neglected the simplest of requests to one of the basic needs of those visiting St Albans.
Charles Baker informed me on Saturday afternoon that the opening of the Town Hall toilets and signing to disabled facilities should, hopefully, be in place during the coming week.
They need to also put right the sign to Verulamium outside the Town Hall which at present points in the opposite direction, down Victoria Street, is also hoped to be addressed in the coming days. This fault was reported last September, during the Heritage Weekend.
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
Ramsbury Road, St Albans.