Public art query
SIR – I can t understand why you are reporting fundraising for the Big V sculpture as a worthy activity. This is not the way that public art is commissioned. Who are sculptors Morgan Howell and Andrew Carruthers? If Verulamium Park is to have a piece
SIR - I can't understand why you are reporting fundraising for the 'Big V' sculpture as a worthy activity. This is not the way that public art is commissioned. Who are 'sculptors' Morgan Howell and Andrew Carruthers?
If Verulamium Park is to have a piece of public art, the public need to be consulted first and then artists of a suitable calibre should be commissioned to create it. I could just about understand going about it this way if a wonderful piece of sculpture such as 'Turning Forms' by the late, great Barbara Hepworth (which can be seen in the grounds of Marlborough School) was what was being suggested.
However, without saying what I think of this piece, I can't understand why money should be raised for a sculpture by two "artists" who have no reputation or track record for producing public art.
You may also want to watch:
High Street, Sandridge
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public