Public art query
SIR – I can t understand why you are reporting fundraising for the Big V sculpture as a worthy activity. This is not the way that public art is commissioned. Who are sculptors Morgan Howell and Andrew Carruthers? If Verulamium Park is to have a piece
SIR - I can't understand why you are reporting fundraising for the 'Big V' sculpture as a worthy activity. This is not the way that public art is commissioned. Who are 'sculptors' Morgan Howell and Andrew Carruthers?
If Verulamium Park is to have a piece of public art, the public need to be consulted first and then artists of a suitable calibre should be commissioned to create it. I could just about understand going about it this way if a wonderful piece of sculpture such as 'Turning Forms' by the late, great Barbara Hepworth (which can be seen in the grounds of Marlborough School) was what was being suggested.
However, without saying what I think of this piece, I can't understand why money should be raised for a sculpture by two "artists" who have no reputation or track record for producing public art.
You may also want to watch:
High Street, Sandridge
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 4 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 5 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 6 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 7 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street