SIR, — Lest it be thought some of us privileged to breathe the rarified air up here on East Common in Harpenden are a bunch of grumpy, negative old whingers, one of my neighbours and I have just volunteered to enlist for the pioneering St Albans District
SIR, - Lest it be thought some of us privileged to breathe the rarified air up here on East Common in Harpenden are a bunch of grumpy, negative old whingers, one of my neighbours and I have just volunteered to enlist for the pioneering St Albans District Council's Tree Warden scheme.
As set out in the council's promo (Herts Advertiser, March 6) which stated: "Tree wardens play a vital role in the district, enhancing our quality of life by getting involved with a range of activities, including gathering information about their local trees and reporting on storm damage or vandalism. They will also get involved in practical projects such as planting and caring for trees in their local community and encouraging others to value their local trees and woods."
Based on our recent experience of Harpenden Town Council's organised vandalism against the beautiful wild cherries on Harpenden Common, we should have all the necessary experience and credentials to keep an eye on the mature specimens not yet scheduled for destruction and schedule a replanting scheme to replace those which were unnecessarily felled. I trust those who fear for the future of all the trees on Nomansland Common will do the same.
You may also want to watch:
East Common, Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery