SIR, — Lest it be thought some of us privileged to breathe the rarified air up here on East Common in Harpenden are a bunch of grumpy, negative old whingers, one of my neighbours and I have just volunteered to enlist for the pioneering St Albans District
SIR, - Lest it be thought some of us privileged to breathe the rarified air up here on East Common in Harpenden are a bunch of grumpy, negative old whingers, one of my neighbours and I have just volunteered to enlist for the pioneering St Albans District Council's Tree Warden scheme.
As set out in the council's promo (Herts Advertiser, March 6) which stated: "Tree wardens play a vital role in the district, enhancing our quality of life by getting involved with a range of activities, including gathering information about their local trees and reporting on storm damage or vandalism. They will also get involved in practical projects such as planting and caring for trees in their local community and encouraging others to value their local trees and woods."
Based on our recent experience of Harpenden Town Council's organised vandalism against the beautiful wild cherries on Harpenden Common, we should have all the necessary experience and credentials to keep an eye on the mature specimens not yet scheduled for destruction and schedule a replanting scheme to replace those which were unnecessarily felled. I trust those who fear for the future of all the trees on Nomansland Common will do the same.
You may also want to watch:
East Common, Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre