Why summer is the ideal time to sell
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Popular opinion states that the summer months aren’t the best time to put a house on the market, as so many people are away.
One agent has built a case for the opposite being true, however, compiling a list of reasons why now is actually the ideal time to put your home on the market.
Residential property group, Leaders, has identified warm weather, a buoyant market and the increased time available to families as key reasons why August is a perfect time to sell.
Kevin Shaw, national sales director at Leaders, says: “There are plenty of reasons that make this time of the year the ideal time to sell. For instance, being able to show off your property at its very best is a vital selling tool and this is most easily achieved during the long and bright days of summer.
“In addition, people are happy to get out and about in summer and this is reflected in a surge in the number of viewing requests we typically witness at this time. The season also provides an ideal opportunity for sellers to carry out minor renovations and repairs to ensure their home is in top shape before hitting the market.”
You may also want to watch:
These are Kevin’s top three reasons why summer is the perfect time to sell:
1) Enhanced kerb appeal
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 3 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 4 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 5 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
A great way to enhance the appeal of a home and to potentially increase its value is to show it off on a sunny day when the trees are green and the flowers are blooming. Spending a little time and money on quick fixes - such as trimming the bushes, painting the front door and mending the fence - helps homeowners to achieve greater kerb appeal and make their property more desirable.
2) Beat the rush
A number of people opt to wait until their children go back to school in September before they feel ready to put their home on the market. Those who go ahead and instruct an agent to sell their property in August gain a crucial head start and are able to reach out to a large pool of prospective buyers at a time when there is less competition on the market.
3) Move in time for Christmas
The typical property sale takes 12 weeks to go through the conveyancing process, while it may also take a short time to find a buyer. As such, putting a property on the market in August is the only way to feel incredibly confident that a move will be completed in time to spend Christmas in a new home.
For more information on selling a property this summer, contact your local Leaders branch or visit www.leaders.co.uk.