St Albans’ community spirit ‘fourth best in UK’
- Credit: Archant
St Albans has been named among the best places to live in the UK for community spirit.
The Cathedral city scored high on Zoopla’s list, which analysed metrics including the number of nurseries, events and volunteering opportunities, and gave each place a score.
St Albans’ ranking is based on the city’s 33 nurseries and 10 green spaces, plus the 180 virtual and in-person events and 55 volunteering opportunities on offer in October.
The countdown was topped by Stockport, followed by Cheltenham and Lincoln.
Zoopla said a strong community should accommodate those of all ages, hence the inclusion of nurseries among the metrics, and added that access to green spaces is proven to improve both mental and physical wellbeing while bringing local communities together.
Tom Parker, Zoopla’s consumer expert, said: “Having a community means much more than just waving to your neighbour, it’s a feeling of belonging and knowing that you have a support network around you.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the past year, having someone there to chat to, albeit from a safe distance and virtually has become vitally important. This community spirit is vital for many when searching for their next property.
He added: “Knowing you’re living in a supportive and thriving community, as well as a safe location, are often top of the list for home buyers. But having a green space nearby where you can get some fresh air is the cherry on top, particular if we face further lockdowns.”
- 1 St Albans' COVID cases continue to decline as UK surpasses "grim" milestone
- 2 The Snow Must Go On: More pics of St Albans in the snow
- 3 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 4 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 5 Market depot site could be redeveloped for housing
- 6 Bishop wages war on sports gambling
- 7 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 8 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 9 Claw enforcement: How to stop your cat scratching furniture and leaving fur everywhere
- 10 Date confirmed for parliamentary debate on stamp duty holiday extension