Twin your toilet for charity this Christmas
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Does your toilet need a twin? Have you ever sat on the lavatory and thought, “I must provide you with a sibling”? Me neither.
But toilet twinning is totally a thing and it’s actually quite brilliantly simple and wonderful.
By hooking your toilet up with a latrine half way around the world in a country of your choosing, you will help bring joy to a family in poverty, by providing them with a decent loo.
Even if you’re not feeling that flush this festive season, it’s £60 and makes a positive difference.
Or if you’re giving it as a Christmas present, you could buy an £80 gift set, which comes with a toilet twin, loo roll and a bar of soap.
You may also want to watch:
It’s a Tear Fund project, enabling clean water, basic sanitation and access to work and school.
You receive a certificate for the smallest room in your house, a photo and GPS coordinates, for looking up your twin on Google Maps.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 8 At last! St Albans is back in business as shops re-open
- 9 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building
For £240, you can twin with a school block or toilets in a displacement camp.
With better health, adults are more able to work the land and grow food - and children can attend school, instead of collect water or miss out on school.
In Africa, half of young girls who drop out of school do so as they need to fetch water, often from many miles away, or because the school doesn’t have a basic toilet.
Go on, what have you got to loos?
And if you do twin your toilet, urine good company – celebrity comedian Tim Vine did it and quipped: “I’ve twinned my toilet with a toilet in Ethiopia. If I get there and someone’s using it, I’ll be slightly annoyed!”
Order before December 18 to make sure it arrives in time for Christmas Day. Visit toilettwinning.org for more information.