Top tips for keeping spiders out of your home
- Credit: Getty Images/Monkey Business
Spider season has arrived, and as our eight-legged friends move in many of us are feeling like moving out.
Such drastic measures may not be necessary, however, according to home warranty and insurance provider, NHBC, who have compiled a list of handy tips for dissuading spiders from moving in:
1. Fill a spray bottle with a mixture of roughly half water and half white vinegar. Avoiding varnished surfaces, spray the mixture in corners and cracks. Alternatively, as strong smells are believed to deter spiders, try mixing natural oils like peppermint, lavender, rose oil, tea-tree and cinnamon into spray bottles and follow the same method.
2. Seal off your home by filling cracks and crevices around doors and windows which spiders could crawl through.
3. Do you have cardboard boxes around? Spiders like these so, where possible, empty and dispose of them. Try to use plastic boxes as an alternative storage solution.
You may also want to watch:
4. Plant mint, lavender or both underneath or near windows as the strong smells will deter spiders.
5. Spiders also dislike citrus, so rub peel from lemons or limes along skirting boards and window sills. You can also try lemon-scented cleaners and furniture polish.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 4 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 5 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 6 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
6. It has been said that spiders hate garlic, so place crushed cloves into a spray bottle filled with water and spritz in corners, floors and skirting boards.
7. Dust and vacuum regularly to get rid of webs and declutter your house as much as possible to reduce the number of places a spider can hide.
Further advice for homeowners on property maintenance and other issues can be found on NHBC’s new homes website.