Top tips for keeping spiders out of your home
- Credit: Getty Images/Monkey Business
Spider season has arrived, and as our eight-legged friends move in many of us are feeling like moving out.
Such drastic measures may not be necessary, however, according to home warranty and insurance provider, NHBC, who have compiled a list of handy tips for dissuading spiders from moving in:
1. Fill a spray bottle with a mixture of roughly half water and half white vinegar. Avoiding varnished surfaces, spray the mixture in corners and cracks. Alternatively, as strong smells are believed to deter spiders, try mixing natural oils like peppermint, lavender, rose oil, tea-tree and cinnamon into spray bottles and follow the same method.
2. Seal off your home by filling cracks and crevices around doors and windows which spiders could crawl through.
3. Do you have cardboard boxes around? Spiders like these so, where possible, empty and dispose of them. Try to use plastic boxes as an alternative storage solution.
4. Plant mint, lavender or both underneath or near windows as the strong smells will deter spiders.
5. Spiders also dislike citrus, so rub peel from lemons or limes along skirting boards and window sills. You can also try lemon-scented cleaners and furniture polish.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
6. It has been said that spiders hate garlic, so place crushed cloves into a spray bottle filled with water and spritz in corners, floors and skirting boards.
7. Dust and vacuum regularly to get rid of webs and declutter your house as much as possible to reduce the number of places a spider can hide.
Further advice for homeowners on property maintenance and other issues can be found on NHBC’s new homes website.