11 steps to al fresco dining success
- Credit: PA Photo/John Lewis
If you want to be outside, without going ‘out out’, garden gathering is where it’s at.
And with summer tablescaping coming into full swing, styling up our safe havens to enjoy meals with friends and family in style is a hot topic.
But if your al fresco dining space is looking more takeaway terrace than posh patio, fear not! We’ve rounded up a few key items to help you up your garden grilling game and style up your suntrap in no time…
1. Set of 4 Melamine Side Plates, £12, Next
These monochrome melamine plates will show off skewers of colourful veggies and sizzling sensations to perfection, plus some decorative interest when the plates are laid bare.
You may also want to watch:
2. Cuisinart Entertaining Grill, £175, Cuisinart
Tailor-made for all types of cooking, this teppanyaki style grill boasts a top temperature of 260-degrees-centigrade and will sear your steak to perfection. Along with dual zone temperature controls for fish and stir fries, it’s easy to clean and store in small spaces.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Green light given to new hospital project
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 9 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 10 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
3. Set of 6 Bee 11oz Wine Glasses, £29.50, At Home in the Country
Great for water, wine or a spritz, stylish stemware made from polycarbonate is a must for outdoor drinkware that won’t let you down. Recyclable, super strong and we love the bee motif.
4. Maze Rattan Winchester 6 Seat Bar Set with Ice Bucket, £1349, parasol and base sold separately, Cuckooland
This tip-top poseur table will make you the envy of your friends. No need to book the best seat in town when it’s on your own doorstep. With a round glass bar table, built-in ice bucket and six high bar chairs (plus options to add extras, such as a parasol), you can chill out without even having to fetch the drinks.
5. Starfish Shatterproof Chip n Dip Bowl, £14, Next
An essential for crisps, dips, nuts and olives, this dip dish will keep everything just so.
6. John Lewis & Partners 4 Burner Gas BBQ with Storage Trolley & 19-Piece Tool Set, £583, John Lewis
Cookouts may be casual, but you still want function and form. With a warming rack, two side shelves (one converts into a side burner), shelving, built-in thermometer and 19-piece tool set, this 4-burner gas barbecue is one for the BBQ king or queen.
7. John Lewis & Partners Levantine Tableware Range, from £4-£15 each, John Lewis
If you’re missing a parade of geometric prints in your supper club, this ceramic tableware inspired by Middle Eastern designs is just the ticket for a three-course meal with all the trimmings. Along with bowls and plates, the range includes wooden bowls, platters and cotton napkins.
8. Outdoor Solar Lanterns, £36.95 each, available in selection of shapes and colours, Sparkle Lighting
Sometimes it’s all in the detail, and these Moroccan style solar lanterns channel a sense of escapism. They can be hung from a tree branch, pergola or placed on a table – and for some extra wow factor, more is more. Lightweight and water-resistant too.
9. Outdoor Garden Tablecloth, Welsh Meadow Cream – Optional Centre Hole for Parasol, available in five sizes, from £49.99-£74.99, Celina Digby
When it comes to mopping up those marinades and water droplets from the jug of Pimm’s, an attractive tablecloth with a wipe-clean finish is a godsend. Buy it oversized and it’ll hide any flaws or rusty metal surfaces too.
10. Cook King Bali Fire Bowl, from £115, Cuckooland
Even if you think you won’t mind a bit of chill in the air, this stylish outdoor firepit has you covered. Not only will it keep you warm until the last embers fade, it’s suitable for barbecuing with the addition of a tripod grill, sold separately. Job done.
11. Cottage Collection Green Meadow Flower Deckchair, £149.99, Cushions, from £24.99-£39.99 each, Perkins & Morley
Easy does it… When you’re taking life in the slow lane, a decent deckchair and comfy cushion is a natural wind-down, especially one with an inviting wildflower print.