Property Spotlight: The Gatehouse on Bancroft, one of Hitchin’s oldest properties
- Credit: Archant
The Gatehouse is a three double bedroom cottage dating back to the early 1400s.
A testament to the period, this standout Grade II* listed timber framed building has an interesting history, once protecting the market town of Hitchin from foe.
Recognised as being one of the earliest surviving properties remaining in the town, this superbly presented home had a complete scheme of renovation in 2009 by its current owners and now stands firm over four levels of uneven, timber exposed rooms.
Originally known to be a hall house in design, subsequent additions have been added to give it the functionality it possesses today, as a cottage.
Features include oak beams and doors, an open plan kitchen/dining room, secure off street parking and a courtyard garden.
You may also want to watch:
This property was also once the business premises of a William Ransom, the founder of the earliest independent pharmaceutical company in 1846 who since had a local school named after him.
The Gatehouse proudly proclaims Mr Ransom’s association here by means of a commemorative plaque at the front of the house in full public view.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
At some point, there is also a hint of a connection with the church as a bishop’s mitre is etched in stained glass on the landing window. Whether this connection is true or not, today the cottage fills 1750 sq ft of accommodation (mainly on the upper floors) with its character intact, ready for its next occupants.
The Gatehouse, Bancroft, Hitchin
Fine & Country, 01462 222555, www.fineandcountry.com