Property Spotlight: The Gatehouse on Bancroft, one of Hitchin’s oldest properties
- Credit: Archant
The Gatehouse is a three double bedroom cottage dating back to the early 1400s.
A testament to the period, this standout Grade II* listed timber framed building has an interesting history, once protecting the market town of Hitchin from foe.
Recognised as being one of the earliest surviving properties remaining in the town, this superbly presented home had a complete scheme of renovation in 2009 by its current owners and now stands firm over four levels of uneven, timber exposed rooms.
Originally known to be a hall house in design, subsequent additions have been added to give it the functionality it possesses today, as a cottage.
Features include oak beams and doors, an open plan kitchen/dining room, secure off street parking and a courtyard garden.
You may also want to watch:
This property was also once the business premises of a William Ransom, the founder of the earliest independent pharmaceutical company in 1846 who since had a local school named after him.
The Gatehouse proudly proclaims Mr Ransom’s association here by means of a commemorative plaque at the front of the house in full public view.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
At some point, there is also a hint of a connection with the church as a bishop’s mitre is etched in stained glass on the landing window. Whether this connection is true or not, today the cottage fills 1750 sq ft of accommodation (mainly on the upper floors) with its character intact, ready for its next occupants.
The Gatehouse, Bancroft, Hitchin
Fine & Country, 01462 222555, www.fineandcountry.com