The 10 most unneighbourly behaviours revealed
- Credit: Getty Images/F1online RF
Stealing our bin space and failing to maintain their lawns and driveways are the two most annoying things our neighbours can do, a new study has revealed.
According to web-blinds.com, more than a fifth (21 per cent) of Brits have considered moving house to escape their neighbours’ irritating ways – and 4 per cent have gone ahead and done it.
More than 2,800 UK adults were asked whether they’d ever been left feeling disgruntled by their current or previous neighbours’ behaviour, either in or around their homes, and 88 per cent answered ‘yes’.
The study suggested that the great British reserve may be a thing of the past, with 52 per cent admitting they had confronted their neighbours about their behaviour.
Only a third (32 per cent) felt this made a difference to their situation going forward, however – and 41 per cent said it made matters worse.
Melissa Benedict, spokesperson for web-blinds.com, said: “It seems as a nation we are becoming increasingly more agitated with those who share the same postcodes as us.
“Having to deal with the occasional loud party next door during the summer months is one thing, but being kept awake night after night or not being able to move your car out of the drive can have a serious effect on how much you enjoy your home.”
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 5 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
Top 10 neighbour no-nos
1. Messy front lawns/driveways – 68%
2. Stolen bin space – 52%
3. Loud music/TV late at night – 50%
4. Inconsiderate parking -47%
5. Screaming/noisy babies and children – 45%
6. Loud DIY home improvements – 37%
7. Throwing parties with lots of friends – 31%
8. Asking overly friendly/nosy questions – 26%
9. Not returning borrowed items – 17%
10. Loud love-making sessions – 11%