Student living: 13 things to make your halls or house shares more homely
- Credit: PA
Few facets of student life require as much thought and planning as what to pile into the back of the car before setting off to your new digs.
Deciding how to pimp up your pad and feel right at home, when you're actually miles away from home, can be tricky. Taking time to snap up a few home comforts and kitchen-cupboard essentials will help you make your best start to student life.
1. Photo Memo Board (62cm x 50cm), £12, Smiling Face Potted Plant, £8, Giraffe Artificial Succulent, £8, Matalan
Styling a mood board with some of your favourite accessories, photos and reminders will channel some positive vibes, and these cute faux potted plants generate a warm welcome. The wooden frame's lightweight and comes with clips.
2. With Great Love Cushion, £10, Ochre Knitted Pom Pom Cushion, £14, Grey Knitted Pom Pom Throw (150cm x 200cm), £30, Morrisons
If you're lucky enough to have an armchair to curl into while swotting up, these pom-pom cushions and matching throw will make it much more homely - and snug enough to double up on the bed.
3. Apartment Living Ceramic Planter, £18, Argos
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 8 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 9 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 10 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
If succulents aren't your thing, surrounding yourself with some lush greenery will create a calm and peaceful space.
4. Foldable Grey Felt Storage Basket, £8, Dunelm
Pretty neat, eh? This storage basket is roomy enough to carry wardrobe essentials... and it folds flat when everything's been folded and hung.
5. Sandwich Maker, £7.99, Aldi
Let's face it, breakfast and brunch isn't all avocado toast and poached eggs. Nothing beats the simple pleasure of a cheese toasty and mug of builder's tea.
6. Century Studio Retro Floral Enamel Mug, £5, Morrisons, in-store
On those grubby grey mornings, your cuppa will taste that much better in this Orla Kiely-inspired printed mug, which looks like the real deal - at a fraction of the price.
7. 20 Piece Kitchen Essentials Starter Set, £22, Argos
Meeting assignment deadlines is a celebration in itself, and with so many student socials, this kitchen starter set is a must.
8. Student Living Range Non-Iron Stripe Double Duvet Set, £10.99, Cushions, £5.99, Large Diamond Rug, £14.99, Aldi
This printed bedding offers great value for money, and we love the idea of styling it with a scatter rug - great for bare feet on a chilly morning.
9. Tommy Yellow Metal Desk Lamp, £18, Habitat
This spotlight is the smartest way to focus on that essay paper or student mag.
10. Selection of Macadam metal folding chairs, £12 each, Habitat
These foldable chairs in funky shades can double up as a holding station for books and mags, if you're short on a side table.
11. Mustard and Grey Circles Bedding Set - Single, £12, Argos
This dotted bed linen shouts designer and makes a big impact for a small price.
12. Lights & Darks Section Laundry Sorter, £12, Foldable Fabric Storage Box, £7, Egyptian Cotton Towels, from £5 to £15, Matalan
Always pack more hangers than you think you'll need (they're likely to go missing) and keep towels bright, so you know they're yours. A whites and darks washing bag in one keeps it neat, and you can never have too many storage boxes.
13. Grey Over Door Mirror, £8, Wilko
A mirror is a must and this full-length one easily hooks over the door. The reflection will dress up your digs too, making it look bigger and brighter.