Student digs offering landlords yields of up to 12 per cent
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Savvy landlords could make a mint from student accommodation, with yields of up to 12 per cent on offer.
A Simple Landlords Insurance study looked at rental returns in the specific streets where students live, and found opportunities aplenty for investors.
St Andrews delivered the greatest yield of 12 per cent, followed by Lancaster, Loughborough and Birmingham, which all offered in excess of 10 per cent.
Next on the list were Exeter, Durham, Sussex and Nottingham, with yields exceeding 9.5 per cent
Allison Thompson, managing director at property specialist Leaders, says: “Student properties offer an attractive investment option for landlords, with an extremely high number of young people currently studying ensuring demand for suitable homes in many towns is strong.
You may also want to watch:
“The majority of large towns and cities boast at least one university so letting to students is open to landlords in all regions. However, it is crucial to do your homework first to ensure you buy in a town with high demand and in a street that will be popular with students and attract great rents.”
Allison adds: “Buying a student property is a specialist investment that differs greatly from a standard buy-to-let project, so you will need local expertise and insight to ensure your property fits the bill both for students and you as an investor.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 6 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 7 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire