Student digs offering landlords yields of up to 12 per cent
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Savvy landlords could make a mint from student accommodation, with yields of up to 12 per cent on offer.
A Simple Landlords Insurance study looked at rental returns in the specific streets where students live, and found opportunities aplenty for investors.
St Andrews delivered the greatest yield of 12 per cent, followed by Lancaster, Loughborough and Birmingham, which all offered in excess of 10 per cent.
Next on the list were Exeter, Durham, Sussex and Nottingham, with yields exceeding 9.5 per cent
Allison Thompson, managing director at property specialist Leaders, says: “Student properties offer an attractive investment option for landlords, with an extremely high number of young people currently studying ensuring demand for suitable homes in many towns is strong.
You may also want to watch:
“The majority of large towns and cities boast at least one university so letting to students is open to landlords in all regions. However, it is crucial to do your homework first to ensure you buy in a town with high demand and in a street that will be popular with students and attract great rents.”
Allison adds: “Buying a student property is a specialist investment that differs greatly from a standard buy-to-let project, so you will need local expertise and insight to ensure your property fits the bill both for students and you as an investor.”
- 1 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 2 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 3 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 8 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 9 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common