Comment: Strong signs that this will be a good year for the local market
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The promised Boxing Day deluge did happen, and the properties agents had been squirreling away as late Christmas presents for desperate house hunters hit Rightmove on the 26th as we’d hoped.
For us personally, there were no potential viewings among them, but simply seeing a spike in new homes coming to market felt like present enough following the drought-like conditions we'd witnessed earlier in the month.
Turns out the traditional pre-Christmas lull combined with election anxiety and ongoing Brexit stress results in next to no new homes being put up for sale!
Whatever your thoughts on the election result, there's no denying that the sense of relative certainty it's brought can only be a good thing for those of us who have been struggling to find somewhere to buy in such a sluggish market.
Exactly what the result means locally has been explored in greater depth by Richard Burton in this week's feature.
The future, according to most of the quoted experts, is bright - and for a lucky few, it's dazzling - music to my ears.
You may also want to watch:
Happily, some local agents are already reporting longed-for movement in what's been a depressingly stagnant market, with Connells having an especially happy new year in their Letchworth office, where more sales were recorded in the first week of 2020 than the whole of January 2019.
Branch manager Craig Flynn told Richard that no one has mentioned the dreaded B-word since the Tories secured their majority last month, a result he says has had a "massive" impact on the property market in Letchworth.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 10 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
Here's hoping for more of the same across the county, as sellers see increased political stability as a sign that now is finally the right time to make a move (please!)