St Albans, Welwyn and Hatfield named top Herts commuter towns
- Credit: Archant
St Albans, Welwyn and Hatfield have been named as three of Hertfordshire’s top commuter hotspots by the Evening Standard.
They were listed alongside Cheshunt as the best Herts commuter towns within half an hour of King’s Cross.
A quarter of buyers moving to Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield are from the capital, the article reveals – but the author seems unsure why.
While both areas are praised for their “cracking” schools, the editorial is somewhat scathing about Hatfield’s “lacklustre town centre” and “dismal social housing”, adding “the Galleria Shopping Centre is not much better”.
It praises the town’s “pockets of great housing” however, including the “period charm” of Old Hatfield, and commuter favourite Birchwood, where properties are “extremely similar to the houses of outer north London, but about half the price”.
You may also want to watch:
It concludes that “Hatfield’s great downfall is poor shopping and lack of nightlife — but lovely St Albans is only six miles west.”
Ouch. Though St Albans costs considerably more, the Standard thinks it’s worth it, raving about the “perennially popular little cathedral city, with its period houses and boutique and café-packed high street” which it describes as “Hertfordshire’s answer to Islington, complete with dreadful traffic but with the added benefit of fantastic schools.”
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 4 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 5 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 6 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 7 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
- 8 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 9 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
- 10 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow