St Albans named London’s top commuter hotspot
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
St Albans has been named as the best London commuter town in a new countdown.
The Cathedral city topped Yopa's 2020 London Commuter Guide, which identifies the most affordable and accessible places to live based on a range of economic and quality of life metrics.
St Albans' 21-minute commute to St Pancras, combined with its high number of top performing primary and secondary schools and lower crime rates, helped it edge Redhill in Surrey into second place.
Reading and Luton were next, while Stevenage and Hitchin were in seventh and tenth place respectively.
Jonathan Moss, South East regional director at Yopa, said: "Deciding where to move to can be a difficult decision, so Yopa has launched the 2020 London Commuter Guide to help homeowners easily compare different areas outside of the M25, focusing on the metrics that are most important to them.
You may also want to watch:
"The 2020 guide takes into account common worries such as transport costs, crime rates, commute times, pollution levels and more, so we urge sellers to take a look to see how they can enjoy the best of both worlds - city working and country living."
Stevenage also scored high on a list of the best value London commuter towns.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 4 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 5 Restaurant delivers food to households self-isolating due to Covid
- 6 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 7 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 8 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 9 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 10 St Albans City game at Dulwich Hamlet postponed due to positive test in Londoners' squad
The SG1 postcode area came in eighth place in Zoopla's countdown of the most affordable places within an hour's travel time of the capital.
Zoopla based its findings on the combined cost of a season ticket and annual average mortgage repayments across a number of local authority areas surrounding London.
Following a 2.7 per cent fare increase for 2020, Stevenage commuters now pay £3,964 for their season tickets.
Combined with average annual mortgage repayments of £12,288 and a typical 36-minute train journey, it offers one of the best value commutes into the capital.
Grays in Essex topped the affordability list, followed by Leagrave in Bedfordshire.