St Albans named as Britain’s most cost-effective place to rent property outside London
- Credit: Archant
Renting instead of buying is more cost-effective in St Albans than anywhere in Britain outside London, new research has revealed.
According to a study by Zoopla, renting in the St Albans local authority area is 22.4 per cent cheaper than paying a monthly mortgage.
Researchers compared the cost of renting and buying two-bed properties and found that the median rent in the St Albans area is £1,202, while a typical monthly mortgage repayment is £1,472 – a difference of £270.
This is based on a 25-year mortgage with a fixed interest rate of 1.89 per cent (assuming an 85 per cent loan-to-value ratio).
London boroughs also heavily favour renters, with upmarket Kensington & Chelsea showing the biggest savings of 39.4 per cent (£1,133).
You may also want to watch:
Covering monthly mortgage repayments is less expensive than paying rent in 75 per cent of Britain’s local authority areas, however.
Hartlepool was named as the local authority area where buying made the most financial sense, with a -47.4 per cent difference in median rent against monthly mortgage repayments.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 6 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 At last! St Albans is back in business as shops re-open
- 9 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building