St Albans named as Britain’s most cost-effective place to rent property outside London
- Credit: Archant
Renting instead of buying is more cost-effective in St Albans than anywhere in Britain outside London, new research has revealed.
According to a study by Zoopla, renting in the St Albans local authority area is 22.4 per cent cheaper than paying a monthly mortgage.
Researchers compared the cost of renting and buying two-bed properties and found that the median rent in the St Albans area is £1,202, while a typical monthly mortgage repayment is £1,472 – a difference of £270.
This is based on a 25-year mortgage with a fixed interest rate of 1.89 per cent (assuming an 85 per cent loan-to-value ratio).
London boroughs also heavily favour renters, with upmarket Kensington & Chelsea showing the biggest savings of 39.4 per cent (£1,133).
You may also want to watch:
Covering monthly mortgage repayments is less expensive than paying rent in 75 per cent of Britain’s local authority areas, however.
Hartlepool was named as the local authority area where buying made the most financial sense, with a -47.4 per cent difference in median rent against monthly mortgage repayments.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Youngsters star in Watford win much to delight of St Albans City boss Ian Allinson
- 9 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines