St Albans named as Britain’s most cost-effective place to rent property outside London
- Credit: Archant
Renting instead of buying is more cost-effective in St Albans than anywhere in Britain outside London, new research has revealed.
According to a study by Zoopla, renting in the St Albans local authority area is 22.4 per cent cheaper than paying a monthly mortgage.
Researchers compared the cost of renting and buying two-bed properties and found that the median rent in the St Albans area is £1,202, while a typical monthly mortgage repayment is £1,472 – a difference of £270.
This is based on a 25-year mortgage with a fixed interest rate of 1.89 per cent (assuming an 85 per cent loan-to-value ratio).
London boroughs also heavily favour renters, with upmarket Kensington & Chelsea showing the biggest savings of 39.4 per cent (£1,133).
You may also want to watch:
Covering monthly mortgage repayments is less expensive than paying rent in 75 per cent of Britain’s local authority areas, however.
Hartlepool was named as the local authority area where buying made the most financial sense, with a -47.4 per cent difference in median rent against monthly mortgage repayments.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 5 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
- 8 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans