St Albans named among top places for adding value by extending
- Credit: Archant
St Albans homeowners can add more value to their properties by extending than those in almost any other area of England, new research has revealed.
The Cathedral city came tenth in a list of areas outside London where the most value per square metre can be added - £7,142.
It was another area of Hertfordshire that topped the list, however - the Broxbourne average was more than double St Albans' at £16,341, while Hertsmere was in sixth place with £8,210.
This placed Broxbourne seventh on the list of top 100 locations for value per square metre in England and Wales, including London.
Hertsmere ranked 21st, followed by St Albans (28th) and Welwyn Hatfield (33rd with £6,826).
The research, conducted by range cooker retailer Leisure, calculated the cost per square metre of houses across the UK, to show the value that extending your home can add to your property.
Not surprisingly, an extension in the City of London will increase a property's value more than anywhere else in the UK, at £285,566 per square metre.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 8 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 9 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
Peter Davey, director of James Anderson Estate Agents, said: "Open plan living, kitchen renovations and luxury bathrooms are the best improvements to make in order to increase the value of your home.
"These areas have the most value per square metre and are most in-demand for homeowners."