St Albans named among the best places to live in the UK
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans local authority district has come eighth in a list of the 50 best places to live in the UK.
Upmarket Winchester, Hampshire, topped the list, followed by the Orkney Islands, Wychavon in Worcestershire, the Derbyshire Dales, and Hambleton, North Yorkshire.
The Halifax looked at a range of factors to decide which local authority districts had the best quality of life, including life expectancy, health, employment rates, education, crime, broadband access, the weather and population densities.
The number of pubs and the availability of health clubs and leisure centres also made their debut as categories in the latest annual report.
St Albans recorded the third highest average earnings in the UK at £1,018 per week, behind Kensington & Chelsea (£1,273) and City of London (£1,106). The UK average is £646.
You may also want to watch:
32 of the 50 areas are in the south, with St Albans ranking second for East of England areas, behind South Cambridgeshire, which was in sixth place.
Martin Ellis, an economist at Halifax, said: “Looking across a wide range of indicators considered by our research, residents of Winchester in Hampshire enjoy the best quality of life in the UK, benefiting from a combination of above average weekly earnings, low crime rate and good health.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
“On the other hand, there is a cost associated with a high quality of life with house prices in Winchester 9.7 times the average annual local income – significantly higher than the UK average of 7.2.
“With more and more emphasis being placed on achieving a good work-life balance, the 2016 Halifax Quality of Life Survey includes a leisure category for the first time. This has had an impact on the rankings, especially at the top.”