St Albans named among best places in Britain to raise a family
- Credit: Archant
St Albans has been named as one of the 10 best places to raise a family in Britain.
According to Yopa’s Happy Family Home Guide 2018, the Cathedral city is sixth on the family-friendly hotlist, which is topped by Ashbourne in Derbyshire.
The online estate agency ranked towns and cities according to a range of factors, including crime rates, average house prices, drug and alcohol use and the percentage of schools rated good or outstanding.
This is the second time St Albans has scored high on one of Yopa’s lists – it came third on their countdown of the top 10 family locations in and around London, released last month.
David Jacobs, co-founder of Yopa, said: “There is a good mix of locations in the top 10 list and it’s interesting to note their geographical spread across the country.
“Our research shows that more than half of British parents are willing to relocate for a better quality of life and improved wellbeing for their children. What’s great to see is that this is not just for the short term either - parents are also driven by their children’s future career prospects and future financial standing.”
Yopa’s top 10 places to raise a family in Britain:
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 10 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
1. Ashbourne, Derbyshire
2. Walton-on-Thames, Surrey
3. Harrogate, North Yorkshire
4. Inverness, Inverness-shire
5. Tunbridge Wells, Kent
6. St Albans, Hertfordshire
7. Esher, Surrey
8. Eastleigh, Hampshire
9. Brentwood, Essex
To find your ideal family-friendly location, check out Yopa’s oline tool at www.yopa.co.uk/family.