St Albans couple’s garden to feature in TV’s Gardeners’ World
- Credit: Archant
A Bernards Heath garden is set to feature in a forthcoming episode of BBC2’s Gardeners’ World.
The 50ft x 13ft space caught the eye of researchers after it featured in the National Garden Scheme's open garden event last month.
The Gardener's World team spent a full day filming at the property on Wednesday, July 24, and it's now set to feature in the show's 'small spaces' segment.
Trevor Barton, who shares the Culver Road property with wife Frances, said: "It was very exciting. They put us at our ease and made it very easy.
"I was basically head cook and bottle washer supplying endless cups of tea and Frances was filming - she's the horticulturalist amongst us."
Frances, who owned a small nursery for almost a decade, was filmed talking about her lifelong love of all things botanical as well as the couple's propagation of Brugmansias (angel's trumpets), something they discovered while living in Florida.
Since moving to Culver Road in 2015 they have transformed their garden from what Trevor described as "an uninteresting patch of rather forlorn grass with a few shabby perennials" into "a tropical retreat" - which also happens to be the working title of the Gardeners' World segment.
- 1 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 2 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 3 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 4 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 5 Cash stolen from parked car on Harpenden Road in St Albans
- 6 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 7 Medals, fast times and great performances for St Albans swimmers at championships
- 8 Police ‘concerned’ as 25-year-old goes missing from Stevenage
- 9 St Albans church organises eco-friendly event
- 10 FULL RESULTS: Lib Dem landslide in St Albans council elections
Trevor added: "It is just really worth seeing what you can do with a small space. The garden is looking a teeny bit fabulous right now."
The episode of Gardeners' World is expected to air on Friday, August 9 and 16 on BBC2.