St Albans couple’s garden to feature in TV’s Gardeners’ World
- Credit: Archant
A Bernards Heath garden is set to feature in a forthcoming episode of BBC2’s Gardeners’ World.
The 50ft x 13ft space caught the eye of researchers after it featured in the National Garden Scheme's open garden event last month.
The Gardener's World team spent a full day filming at the property on Wednesday, July 24, and it's now set to feature in the show's 'small spaces' segment.
Trevor Barton, who shares the Culver Road property with wife Frances, said: "It was very exciting. They put us at our ease and made it very easy.
"I was basically head cook and bottle washer supplying endless cups of tea and Frances was filming - she's the horticulturalist amongst us."
You may also want to watch:
Frances, who owned a small nursery for almost a decade, was filmed talking about her lifelong love of all things botanical as well as the couple's propagation of Brugmansias (angel's trumpets), something they discovered while living in Florida.
Since moving to Culver Road in 2015 they have transformed their garden from what Trevor described as "an uninteresting patch of rather forlorn grass with a few shabby perennials" into "a tropical retreat" - which also happens to be the working title of the Gardeners' World segment.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 A New York state of mind
- 7 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 8 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 9 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
Trevor added: "It is just really worth seeing what you can do with a small space. The garden is looking a teeny bit fabulous right now."
The episode of Gardeners' World is expected to air on Friday, August 9 and 16 on BBC2.