Retirement living resident raves about life in Knebworth development
- Credit: Archant
Swapping a spacious four-bed family home for a much smaller apartment in a retirement living development proved to be a wise move for one glamorous pensioner.
Former model Joan Young, 83, moved into Constance Place in Knebworth in September 2016 after the upkeep of her large home and garden in nearby Oaklands became too much.
She said: “I had a very nice house, but the garden was becoming a bit of a problem. I barely used the dining room and I sat in just one corner of the lounge.”
Joan took advantage of McCarthy & Stone’s part-exchange offer, which eliminates the worries associated with selling, such as getting caught in a chain or dealing with estate agents.
Joan, who walked the catwalk for Junex of Sweden during her twenties and travelled the world with her late husband, admits the part-exchange scheme made her life “a lot easier - it was a very big upheaval.
You may also want to watch:
“I have been a widow now for about seven-and-a-half years, after being very happily married for 55. I feel very, very safe in my apartment, that’s what’s so beautiful about living here.”
Talking about her new life in the development for those aged 60 and over, Joan concludes: “One of the highlights for me has been meeting fellow homeowners. This was not something I expected. I thought I’d keep to myself, but everyone is really nice, we are good friends.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 4 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Property Spotlight: A stunning period conversion in central St Albans
- 7 Raise a glass to the local brewers facing up to the challenges of lockdown
- 8 Footballers rally round with food drive amid pandemic
- 9 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
- 10 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
“We have tea parties and coffee mornings together, on a Friday we have a film night in the Club Lounge, with wine and nibbles. We have a good laugh, and that’s what it’s all about!”
She adds: “For anyone thinking about making the move to retirement living I say, ‘just go for it!’. It needs courage to downsize, it is a big move, but it’s fabulous. I am really happy here and would recommend to others.”
There is just one two-bedroom apartment now remaining at Constance Place, priced at £399,950. For further information call 0800 201 4811 or visit www.mccarthyandstone.co.uk/constanceplace