Record month for Rightmove as house-hunter activity increases
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
January was the busiest month ever on Rightmove, with house hunters paying a record 141 million visits to the site.
The number of sellers was also up 2 per cent year-on-year according to this month’s Rightmove House Price Index, while the average price of property increased by 0.8 per cent to £300,001.
In the East of England – which includes Hertfordshire – the average price was £347,633, a monthly increase of 1.4 per cent and an annual rise of 2.3 per cent. The average selling time was 67 days.
One of the country’s fastest selling hotspots, based on new listings that have come to the market since October 2017 and have since sold, was Hitchin.
The Hertfordshire town was fifth on that list, with an 8 per cent increase in asking prices year-on-year to an average of £432,501.
You may also want to watch:
Miles Shipside, Rightmove director and housing market analyst, said: “Rightmove is a great barometer of housing demand, and January was its busiest month ever with home-hunters spending over 1.1 billion minutes on the site. Encouragingly for buyers, there are more fresh properties for sale to look at too.
“Nationally, 2 per cent more sellers have come to market this month compared to the same period a year ago, which is a small step in the right direction. However, with a myriad of local markets with different supply and demand dynamics, those contemplating a move should monitor their area and use the expertise of local agents with their fingers on the pulse.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Look! Sneak peek inside Harpenden's new Eric Morecambe Centre