Record month for Rightmove as house-hunter activity increases
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
January was the busiest month ever on Rightmove, with house hunters paying a record 141 million visits to the site.
The number of sellers was also up 2 per cent year-on-year according to this month’s Rightmove House Price Index, while the average price of property increased by 0.8 per cent to £300,001.
In the East of England – which includes Hertfordshire – the average price was £347,633, a monthly increase of 1.4 per cent and an annual rise of 2.3 per cent. The average selling time was 67 days.
One of the country’s fastest selling hotspots, based on new listings that have come to the market since October 2017 and have since sold, was Hitchin.
The Hertfordshire town was fifth on that list, with an 8 per cent increase in asking prices year-on-year to an average of £432,501.
You may also want to watch:
Miles Shipside, Rightmove director and housing market analyst, said: “Rightmove is a great barometer of housing demand, and January was its busiest month ever with home-hunters spending over 1.1 billion minutes on the site. Encouragingly for buyers, there are more fresh properties for sale to look at too.
“Nationally, 2 per cent more sellers have come to market this month compared to the same period a year ago, which is a small step in the right direction. However, with a myriad of local markets with different supply and demand dynamics, those contemplating a move should monitor their area and use the expertise of local agents with their fingers on the pulse.”
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 6 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe