Property Spotlight: Ver Lodge is a hidden gem in the heart of St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Ver Lodge in Pondwicks Close is, or has been, a well-kept secret. It lies at the end of a highly sought-after cul-de-sac, approached from Grove Road at the bottom of Holywell Hill.
Tucked away in leafy and secluded grounds of towards an acre, it has been extended and modernised over the last few years to provide around 5,500 sq ft of light and spacious accommodation, designed with entertaining in mind and to take maximum advantage of views and, over the southerly aspect, grounds that gently slope down to the River Ver.
The leafy and secluded gardens are visible from most rooms – there are five reception rooms, two kitchens, and an entertaining area. The large garden room has about 40’ of bi-fold doors opening onto a full width elevated terrace (with an outdoor kitchen) – all overlooking the garden. Upstairs there is a large principal suite, a guest suite, three further bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Pondwicks Close lies below the Abbey fields and provides a quiet residential environment that is favourably located on the fringe of the conservation area and within very easy reach of the Abbey, popular schools and the railway stations.
The current owner says Ver Lodge feels like “where the town meets the country,” thanks to its ideal location.
The vendor adds: “The grounds of Ver Lodge occupy what has to be one of the premier plots in St Albans. The chalk stream of the River Ver flows through the southern end of the mature and magnificent gardens and to the north are the Abbey and the city of St Albans.
“The foundations of the monastic wall that surrounded the Abbey run through the garden and bring history to very doorstep of this delightful family home.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 5 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 8 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 9 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 10 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
“But perhaps the most appealing feature of this property is that although so close to town, the privacy and tranquillity that Ver Lodge combines will suit those of love the city life and yet wish to hear birdsong at home.”
Ver Lodge, Pondwicks Close, St Albans
Aitchisons | 01727 855556| www.aitchisons.co.uk