Property Spotlight: A Grade II listed former water mill just outside Redbourn
- Credit: Archant
This unique Grade II listed country cottage is set just outside the sought-after village of Redbourn.
Dolittle Mill House is a four-bed property with cinema room, kitchen/breakfast room, three reception rooms, plus family bathroom, shower room and cloakroom.
It is accessed via wooden gates, which lead onto a paved driveway, providing parking space for several vehicles.
There are pretty gardens to the front, while to the rear there is a delightful south-facing garden, with a paved terrace area.
To the back of the garden, steps lead to a gate, beyond which lies a track, offering rear access to the property via Beaumont Hall Lane and additional parking for several cars.
You may also want to watch:
The River Ver, prior to the extraction of water, was quite a considerable river and was a major contributor to the local industries.
The Domesday Book recorded two water mills in the parish although the sites of these are presumably those outside the present conservation area boundary, at Dolittle Mill and Redbournbury Mill.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 6 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 7 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 8 A New York state of mind
- 9 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 10 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
There is evidence that at some time these mills were later used for paper making. In the late 1850s a silk mill was constructed on South Common powered by steam.
The site was subsequently acquired by Brooke Bond in 1938 and the mill buildings demolished although the mill house survives behind the Cricketers pub. It has now been converted to the village museum.
Dolittle Mill House, St Albans Road, Redbourn
Guide price £925,000
Strutt & Parker, 01582 764 343, www.struttandparker.com