Property Spotlight: A former pub bursting with character
- Credit: Archant
Built in 1680, this superb landmark building is situated in the heart of historic Markyate village and offers abundant versatile living space.
The Sun Inn is a Grade II listed former coaching inn with planning permission in place to convert it to a fabulous family home, consisting of three reception rooms, four bedrooms, three bathrooms and a basement cinema room.
The inn enjoyed its heyday in the 1720s when coaching was at its height. It is rumoured that Dick Turpin stayed there - although this is most likely just a myth for promotional purposes, following the discovery of a flintlock pistol found near the River Ver and displayed in the pub.
The ground floor currently consists of two former bar areas with windows to the front and open fireplaces. There are two former restrooms on this floor and hallways to the front and rear. Steps lead down into a large open cellar.
Upstairs there is a kitchen, four double bedrooms and a large bathroom. The property requires complete modernisation throughout and plans have been drawn up to convert the ground floor accommodation to a large open plan living room/kitchen, a further sitting room and separate study to the front and an L-shaped dining room to the rear. The proposed plans include a cinema room in the basement.
You may also want to watch:
Upstairs there will be four large double bedrooms. The master suite will include a dressing room and en-suite wet room. Two further bathrooms will serve the remaining bedrooms. Planning permission has been granted and implemented for Change of Use.
VAT on further conversion works can be claimed back if the individual or company carrying out the works is registered for VAT.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 8 At last! St Albans is back in business as shops re-open
- 9 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building
New windows and doors have been installed and the sizeable walled garden will have a new sandstone patio and a newly laid ‘Wonderlawn’.
There is private covered car parking adjacent to the property.
The Sun Inn, High Street, Markyate
Guide price £485,000
Ashtons | 01582 793555 | www.ashtons.co.uk