“People buy holiday homes in America and so forth – that’s too far for me.” - Rene Floor, of Collinson Hall, Chiswell Green
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
We sent our Meet The Agent questions to Collinson Hall, the agency in charge of this week’s home of the week on Walton Street.
What’s different about your agency?
Collinson Hall are proud to be the only independent agency to have a location in Chiswell Green - which has been trading for 25 years. I’ve run it since 2012. Most of our staff live close by. This heightens the local knowledge we have, collectively – which is very important when working in the property sector in a particular area. My team have an excellent knowledge of house values within this location. To us, customer service is crucial – we are a very proactive agency. We cover Chiswell Green, Park Street, Bricket Wood, and the south side of St Albans, alongside our successful city centre branch.
Where do you live, with whom, and why did you choose your current property?
I moved to the UK from Holland in 2005 and rented a period cottage. I live with my wife and our two sons. In 2014 we bought a 1930s semi in Hitchin for its potential, the bigger garden, off-road parking. It’s a family home and Hitchin is like a mini St Albans. In Holland I was also an estate agent, and when I moved over here I began working for high profile agencies. I made the move to Collinson Hall because they are still an independent and family run agency and we share the same values and property professionalism…
You may also want to watch:
If you weren’t an estate agent, what would you be?
Like most boys, I’d have loved to play pro football (for Holland of course)! Maybe the dream was to be the next Johan Cruyff?!
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 9 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
It was in Amstelveen, south of Amsterdam. It was a 2 bed apartment, a starter home. I actually still own it and rent it out. Property is always a good investment, especially around here, being close to the Capital. Managing property from another country isn’t too tricky – my family over there assist me, and I have a letting agent which is a great help. I also have a long term tenant. The rental market in Holland is different, it’s about a 50/50 ratio of owning to renting.
Describe your ideal holiday home...
It would be somewhere not too far away from the UK/Europe. Perhaps even the south coast of England. Or Holland of course. Somewhere easy to travel to for a weekend or a week, with no major hassle. People buy holiday homes in America and so forth – that’s too far for me. In the north of Holland there are some lovely islands. Or maybe the south of France or along the French west coast.