Online dating? Online house hunting? They’re practically the same thing, says Savills, Harpenden
- Credit: Getty Images/VStock RF
Are you looking for a new home this Valentine’s Day?
Anyone who has used an on-line dating agency will be able to empathise with the thrill and excitement of finding that special someone who fits their criteria and the disappointment of when something doesn’t. As Valentine’s Day approaches, Savills encourages sellers and landlords to put their property under the same scrutiny as they would if building an on-line dating profile, in order to match it with the perfect buyers and tenants.
Photo – go through and very carefully select the best photos of your home and the ones which present it in the best light. Make sure your home looks neat and tidy and loved on both the inside and outside as first impressions count.
Personality – Properties do have personalities, whether they are cosy and snug; open to the outdoors. Make sure you highlight these benefits for someone coming to view...
How long is the relationship going to last – is your home available to let over a short-term or long-term tenancy? Or is it the type of home which individuals are going to only buy for 5 to 10 years; or for life? This may impact who you are pitching your home to.
You may also want to watch:
What Age? From modern to historic, make the best of your property’s features and make sure it is in good condition. Dated bathrooms and kitchens can be very off-putting, especially for tenants. Take advice from your agent on whether it is worth investing in modernising them.
Location – where is the property and what are the positives of living there. If there are any negatives, such as being by a very busy road, it is best to be upfront so applicants are not disappointed when they arrive.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
Do you have a car? - Is there off-street parking? If yes, this can be a real positive and it is worth keeping a driveway clear for use by those viewing so they can truly appreciate its value – this is especially the case in town centre locations.