New St Albans development to be named after Eleanor of Castile
- Credit: Archant
The assisted living development currently being constructed on London Road is to be named Eleanor House in honour of Eleanor of Castile.
The Eleanor Cross was erected in Market Place in 1291, in tribute to the late wife of Edward I. Following her death in Nottinghamshire, the King ordered the construction of 12 crosses to mark the places her body had rested on the way home to London.
Eleanor House is currently being built on the former Quality Hotel site. It will comprise 47 one and two bedroom apartments for residents aged 70 and over, and is expected to launch next year.
While we already have an Eleanor Avenue and Eleanor Place in St Albans, Elaine Stratford, Regional Sales and Marketing Director for McCarthy and Stone North London, said the developer wanted to choose a memorable name that would resonate with both local residents and future homeowners.
She said: “The name Eleanor House commemorates a beautiful love story. In fact, the first queen of Edward I would perhaps have been completely forgotten over the years had her husband not created such dramatic memorials in her name.
You may also want to watch:
“Although the cross is no longer there, it’s lovely that we can recapture a little bit of the town’s history as we build a new addition to the local landscape.”
Eleanor House will include a table service dining room, a function room, a guest suite for overnight visitors and a club lounge for socialising.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 City centre pub opens new roof garden
Landscaped gardens will surround the development, which will also include a 24-hour estate management team, and domestic and personalised care packages which can be tailored to suit each homeowner’s requirements.
Design highlights include an atrium and communal conservatory to maximise light, as well as a canopied entrance with designated drop-off area.
Those interested in McCarthy and Stone’s St Albans development are invited to call 0800 201 4811 or visit www.mccarthyandstone.co.uk