MP Anne Main kicks off construction at new St Albans development
- Credit: Archant
St Albans MP Anne Main made a ground-breaking appearance at a major new assisted living development last week.
She visited Eleanor House on London Road to officially mark the start of the build by placing the first spade in the ground.
Clad in a hard hat/hi-vis jacket combo, Anne joined Ali Maruf, regional managing director for developer McCarthy and Stone North London, at the site.
Anne said: “It was a pleasure to mark the start of construction at Eleanor House, and to find out more about how this exciting new development will continue to take shape and become an important landmark for local retirees.
“Enjoying an independent, active and secure lifestyle is incredibly important at any age, and it is fantastic to see the provision of assisted living apartments such as these in our local area. Eleanor House will provide further choice for those who are looking to downsize to a more manageable property.”
Named Eleanor House in honour of Eleanor of Castile – the wife of King Edward I – the development will feature 47 one and two bedroom apartments, each with a private balcony. Designed for those aged 70 and over, the apartments will be released for off-plan sales in the spring, with the first homeowners expected to move in this summer.
Ali Maruf said: “I’d like to personally thank Anne Main MP for helping us to celebrate the start on site at our new St Albans development by leading an official ground-breaking ceremony.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
“Eleanor House has been carefully designed to meet the needs of those in later life who are looking to downsize in style with the added benefit of flexible on-site support to help homeowners stay independent for longer.
“We are pleased to have secured such a prime place in the highly-sought after area of St Albans, and unsurprisingly this Grade A location has already garnered a lot of interest.”