Mortgage pre-approval is the key to property-buying success
- Credit: PA
Having your finances in order is the best way to secure your dream home, according to a national estate agent firm.
Leaders say they have an average of 10 buyers for each property, meaning that they should be able to present themselves as attractively as possible to sellers and agents.
They have released advice on how to get in the strongest position to buy a home, which includes getting pre-approved – being qualified by a mortgage lender prior to starting the search for a place to live.
Kevin Shaw, national sales director at Leaders, said: “A pre-approval is incredibly important as a mortgage provider has analysed a person’s credit history and credit score and given the green light to them borrowing a specific amount.
“Essentially it demonstrates a buyer can afford the amount required, meaning they are less likely to pull out of a purchase, as a result of being unable to raise the funds. This makes pre-approved buyers extremely attractive to sellers.
You may also want to watch:
“It also works in favour of buyers who are able to find out for certain what they can borrow before they start, providing them with greater confidence and allowing them to move faster.”
To help buyers work out their borrowing potential, they should consider the ‘four Cs’ – capacity (ability to make mortgage payments), capital/cash reserves (money, savings and investments to use for a deposit), collateral (the type of home a buyer would like to purchase) and credit (history of paying bills and debts on time).
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 9 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
Kevin added: “Many buyers overestimate the deposit they need to purchase a home and underestimate the amount they may be able to borrow. Talking to an expert is the ideal starting point in any search.”