Meet the agent: Julian David, Savills
- Credit: Archant
Julian David talks 1930s architecture and his law-enforcing alternate career...
Occupation: Estate Agent. Associate Director, Head of Savills Harpenden Town Sales
What’s special/different about your agency?
Savills is a strong player in the local market place and we are immensely proud to be part of the community here. In addition, we have the ability to take advantage of the resource which is Savills at a London, UK and international level. This resource gives us access to a wide network of offices and associates including a London network of 35 offices and growing. It also ensures we are fully up to speed with all legislation and compliance enabling our clients to have full peace of mind when they choose to work with us.
Where do you live and with whom?
You may also want to watch:
My wife and I live in Harpenden in a 4 bedroom semi detached house with our two cats and three children (the eldest has just gone off to start university).
Why did you buy your current property?
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 4 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 5 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 6 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 7 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 8 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 9 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 10 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
Honestly? It was the only property we could afford to buy at the time (20 years ago) and we have never looked back. We had been looking in nearby Redbourn but simply couldn’t find anything in our budget. I am so grateful that we bought the house we currently live in, not only is it a 5 minute walk for us to the shops in Southdown, just over a 10 minute walk from the centre of Harpenden and station but we have been additionally fortunate in that all our children have been able to go to good schools within walking distance and they have grown up with the advantage of having friends very close by. These are requirements top on the wish list of all the families who come to Savills wanting to buy a home in the town.
If you weren’t an agent, what would you be?
My qualifications are in sports and recreational management so I would either have become a sports development officer working with children or a policeman.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
My wife and I bought our first property together – in 1992. It was a two bedroom mid terrace house in Houghton Regis, near Luton and proved to be a sound starter home.
What’s your dream house?
I was brought up in a 1930s house and have such a fondness for that period of architecture – I suppose it will always feel like coming home. It would be great to have a larger garden too – of over an acre but then I’d have to make a compromise on how close I’d be to the shops, restaurants and train station. The grass is always greener....