Meet the agent: Gary Whittaker of Abbey Estates
- Credit: Archant
“I bought my first property when I was 19. To be honest it was a tiny little flat but I really loved it...”
Occupation: Founder and managing director of Abbey Estates.
What’s special/different about your agency?
We are an independent, family run estate agency that I set up over 26 years ago. We specialise in selling/managing property just in St Albans and the very close surrounding areas. Therefore, having such a high level of expertise and local knowledge enables our clients to get unrivalled advice.
Where do you live and with whom?
You may also want to watch:
My parents moved to St Albans when I was six and I have lived here ever-since. I have been married to Julie since 1989. We were in the same year at Beaumont School. We have three daughters Grace 18, Emily 16 and Alice 13.
Why did you buy your current property?
- 1 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
- 2 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 3 de Havilland Aircraft Museum awarded £90k grant as it plans for May reopening
- 4 Abbey Theatre banner vanishes from St Albans park railings
- 5 Former St Albans Mayor celebrates golden wedding
- 6 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 7 Fantastic Mr Fox rescued from balcony with help of RSPCA
- 8 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Church roof saved thanks to Lottery grant
- 10 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
We live on Hatfield Road, close to Beaumont School. We wanted our girls to also go there as we both enjoyed it.
If you weren’t a buying agent, what would you be?
I have been an estate agent in St Albans for almost my whole working life so it would be very hard to do anything else. Although, I have always been sport mad - so I would try to do something connected to that.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
I bought my first property when I was 19. To be honest it was a tiny little flat but I really loved it.
What’s your dream house?
A house with land and alongside a river would be great. I’d love that.