Meet the agent: Gary Whittaker of Abbey Estates
- Credit: Archant
“I bought my first property when I was 19. To be honest it was a tiny little flat but I really loved it...”
Occupation: Founder and managing director of Abbey Estates.
What’s special/different about your agency?
We are an independent, family run estate agency that I set up over 26 years ago. We specialise in selling/managing property just in St Albans and the very close surrounding areas. Therefore, having such a high level of expertise and local knowledge enables our clients to get unrivalled advice.
Where do you live and with whom?
You may also want to watch:
My parents moved to St Albans when I was six and I have lived here ever-since. I have been married to Julie since 1989. We were in the same year at Beaumont School. We have three daughters Grace 18, Emily 16 and Alice 13.
Why did you buy your current property?
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 6 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 7 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
We live on Hatfield Road, close to Beaumont School. We wanted our girls to also go there as we both enjoyed it.
If you weren’t a buying agent, what would you be?
I have been an estate agent in St Albans for almost my whole working life so it would be very hard to do anything else. Although, I have always been sport mad - so I would try to do something connected to that.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
I bought my first property when I was 19. To be honest it was a tiny little flat but I really loved it.
What’s your dream house?
A house with land and alongside a river would be great. I’d love that.