Meet the agent: Gary Whittaker of Abbey Estates
- Credit: Archant
“I bought my first property when I was 19. To be honest it was a tiny little flat but I really loved it...”
Occupation: Founder and managing director of Abbey Estates.
What’s special/different about your agency?
We are an independent, family run estate agency that I set up over 26 years ago. We specialise in selling/managing property just in St Albans and the very close surrounding areas. Therefore, having such a high level of expertise and local knowledge enables our clients to get unrivalled advice.
Where do you live and with whom?
You may also want to watch:
My parents moved to St Albans when I was six and I have lived here ever-since. I have been married to Julie since 1989. We were in the same year at Beaumont School. We have three daughters Grace 18, Emily 16 and Alice 13.
Why did you buy your current property?
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 4 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 5 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 6 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 7 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
- 8 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 9 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
- 10 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
We live on Hatfield Road, close to Beaumont School. We wanted our girls to also go there as we both enjoyed it.
If you weren’t a buying agent, what would you be?
I have been an estate agent in St Albans for almost my whole working life so it would be very hard to do anything else. Although, I have always been sport mad - so I would try to do something connected to that.
When did you buy your first property and what was it like?
I bought my first property when I was 19. To be honest it was a tiny little flat but I really loved it.
What’s your dream house?
A house with land and alongside a river would be great. I’d love that.